Losing access to the SD card...

Last Updated:

1. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey! I've had this happen several times, sometimes when I turn on the screen there's a notice saying that backing up to SD had failed, so I try to look at the contents of the card and I can't see any of my files. Sometimes I notice it when I try to take a picture, and it'll say that it doesn't have the required access. Other times, I've just wanted to access something on the card and noticed it had happened.
    Now, this sounds like it happens all the time, but it's only a couple of times a week, but quite annoying nonetheless. The only solution I have found is to turn off the phone, and then turn it back on again.
    I have tried with the programs SDRemount and SDRescan, but neither have any effect.

Any hints as to get rid of this problem? Is it an issue with the SD card that would go away if I got a new one?

PS. I have searched for this topic several times in here, without finding it, but I think something goes wrong in the search process (even if I just search for SD, nothing is found, and I'm quite sure SD has been mentioned a couple of times in here :)

Advertisement
  2. Deego

Deego New Member

Happened to me today as well :( I have only had the phone since Saturday, so cant say if its a problem or not. I unmounted and re started the phone. its been ok since!!

3. jauhari

jauhari Well-Known Member

Try to reboot your HTC Desire.. it's worked on me

4. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, it works fine with rebooting, but since it's a recurring problem, and usually happens when I want to show something off, it's not all that great, so I'd prefer if I could make the problem go away entirely.

5. dd1989

dd1989 Active Member

Happened to me a few times too. It's a bit frustrating.

6. ncoloss

ncoloss New Member

Hi
    I also have this problem. Pjone only a week old. Disappointing.
    I'll try a new SD but if that fails I suspect that it is something to do with a poor contact mechanism between the phone and the SD card. In which case its a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw and we're just unlucky.
    N

7. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

This keeps happening to me - is there any solution? Please help!

8. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Same here, like you guys the only thing iv found is to restart the bloody thing. :(

9. SHiFT3R

SHiFT3R Well-Known Member

It also happens to me.
    Reboot is not solving the issue cause... it just happens again :S

I suspect ASTRO file manager. Do you have it installed?

10. davetarmac

davetarmac Member

Both me and my wife had the problem with the SD card. It does seem that it needs to be unmounted and remounted, but since the only thing that let's you do that is restarting the phone this mkea it a very annoying process.

Neither is us have Astro installed, in fact the only thing we have installed recently is the Facebook update.

What about any if you?

11. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Nobody brings this thread up for 3 months then 5 people chime in saying they have it today? Did this start recently or something?

12. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

This used to happen to me, but it had not happened for months. It started again I think yesterday.

13. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

This has happened to me a few times and only started in the past couple of weeks. I do have Astro but I haven't installed the Facebook update.

14. markjwilson

markjwilson Member

I have never had this problem till yesterday, every hour or so i would loose the SD card or sometimes i would only loose half the folders.

I changed for an old 2GB card and the problem has gone away. so ive just ordered a new 16gb card hopefully it's just a fault card.

15. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time. I've heard rumors that reformatting the card should work. Also, some say that it's got something to do with the read/write permissions. Can anyone confirm ?

16. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Well-Known Member

Happened to me when I first got the phone a month ago. I took the SD card out and put it back in and thought this had solved it as I was then problem free.............until yesterday and today when it's happened again.

I'm hoping getting a new SD card will solve it but I'm not too optimistic as there are several other threads on here about this problem and some have had it with more than one card.

If it is a problem that can't be fixed I won't be buying another HTC device again -

17. markjwilson

markjwilson Member

Quick Update. I have fixed it!!!

I copied all my data to my pc, then formatted the card and then copied my data back. No problems at all everything works and has done all weekend..

18. BruceC

BruceC Active Member

Did you format it on the PC? On my Desire, the SD card format option is greyed out.

19. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member

this happened alot on my Hero, just had to format the SD card via

menu > settings > SD & phone storage > Unmount SD card > Format SD card

after this put stuff back on (make sure you back up before format) and all was fine :D

20. BruceC

BruceC Active Member

Ah, thanks Adam. Not very intuitive to unmount the card before you can format it, but thanks! I haven't got round to backing up on PC yet, so will do this first.

21. adam_hilluk

thats okay, just let us know if it works. fingers crossed for you

22. BruceC

BruceC Active Member

My SD card works fine, so not really necessary, but it's a replacement one, and I always think it's best to format on the device.

23. adam_hilluk

My SD card worked fine on everything else but just suddenly stopped working on the phone every so often. right faff

24. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Started getting mybackup pro DB errors - which their faq says is an SD error. Removing all the backups seems to have sorted this.

Everything else that uses the SD card was running fine.

25. markjwilson

markjwilson Member

I took it out and formatted it onto a PC.

There did seem to be a lot of empty directories for apps i have uninstalled.