• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Losing charge really fast, lagging & running hot

marys4000

Lurker
May 4, 2015
I've had my Volt for ~6 months now. When I first got it I could easily get through a day of heavy use with around 30% battery left, but now it drains incredibly fast, this morning it lost 30% in just two hours.
I have also noticed that it runs hot and lags a lot, for example, yesterday I was using Google Maps and it would randomly say "GPS signal lost" and then force close the app. Sometimes with just normal use (watching Youtube or browsing Tumblr) it heats up really hot.
I'm not rooted, and I'm using Apex launcher with Glasklart icon pack.
Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thank you!

Do you have a case? Does it heat up with it off? Does the heat seem to be centered toward the top or bottom? If it's towards the bottom then it's your battery overheating and you should take it in immediately. Otherwise, something is over taxing the hardware, maybe a factory reset can help?

Reactions: marys4000
Upvote 0
Check your running apps, use GSam Battery Monitor if necessary.

If Media or Media Server or the like is running constantly and near the top of list that would cause those symptoms.

If so, settings, Apps, All, media storage and clear data. Cycle power off and on, leave the phone alone for a half hour, let it rebuild the database.

More information here if it persists -

http://androidforums.com/threads/overheating-and-battery-life.916679/

Reactions: marys4000
Upvote 0
Do you have a case? Does it heat up with it off? Does the heat seem to be centered toward the top or bottom? If it's towards the bottom then it's your battery overheating and you should take it in immediately. Otherwise, something is over taxing the hardware, maybe a factory reset can help?

Yes, I have a case, it's from Amazon and is very similar to the Otterbox Commuter. I first noticed the heat when I had the case on, but it definitely still heats up without it. I think maybe the case amplifies the heat a bit, though.
I just felt it, and it seems the heat is coming from the top of the phone, mostly around the camera.
Do you think my launcher could be causing it? I did a little research on it before downloading and it seemed to be just fine but if it causes issues I guess I'll go back to stock.
Thank you for your help!

Check your running apps, use GSam Battery Monitor if necessary.

If Media or Media Server or the like is running constantly and near the top of list that would cause those symptoms.

If so, settings, Apps, All, media storage and clear data. Cycle power off and on, leave the phone alone for a half hour, let it rebuild the database.

More information here if it persists -

http://androidforums.com/threads/overheating-and-battery-life.916679/

Thank you, I'll install that and check back!

edit: Okay, installed it! Here are some screenshots:
Screenshot_2015-05-04-17-51-12.png
Screenshot_2015-05-04-17-51-04.png

It's not running hot at the moment, but that's because I haven't used it since I charged it to 100% about two hours ago. (It's at 75% now)

Another thing that's completely unrelated but I'm confused about is that I downloaded and used an icon pack a while ago (Bleach) and when I switched to my current one, sometimes my app shortcuts on my home screen still display the icons as Bleach ones. Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
Screenshot_2015-05-04-17-56-36.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't panic.

The first thing that GSam showed is what I suspected - Media is running high.

Check it again. If no change, refer to my instructions.

Forget the icons and the kitchen sink for now. A phone in distress misbehaves. It happens. ;)

Focus on the media and the link I suggested.

It'll either fix it or rule it out (smart money is on the fix).

Either way - one step at a time, the tortoise beat the hare. ;)

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2015-05-04-20-32-36.png

Okay, did the first thing. Looks like my phone is clearly having issues with something else haha, on to the SD card! I'm unmounting it as I type, I'll follow your instructions on that. Thank you so much!

Also, sorry about that! I'm definitely more hare than tortoise. I'm working on it lol

edit: Okay, so I unmounted and removed the SD card and this is what Battery Sucker looks like:
Screenshot_2015-05-04-20-49-46.png

Screenshot_2015-05-04-20-52-32.png

I'm not so sure it worked? I copied all the files from the SD card onto a folder on my computer (which is a Mac, not a PC - not sure if it matters) and there was no issue.
So is there a file that's actually on my phone's internal memory, not the SD card, that's causing the issue?
Btw, the icons are still having that problem haha

edit 2: should I go ahead and do a factory reset like bg4m3r suggested?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones