Losing data/internet connection

Last Updated:

1. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unbranded, fully updated (2.1-update1), Desire.

Three months old.

No task killers installed.

Just this past couple of days I've noticed it has not been showing the data connection symbol in the top bar, next to the signal strength bars.

Try and connect to the internet or the market and get a 'failed' pop up window asking to either retry of cancel. Retry never works.

I go into settings > Wireless & Networks and disable Mobile Network, then enable it again and it flickers on then goes off again. Repeat this and it stays on for a while but always goes off again after about 20 minutes even though the Mobile Network is ticked green.

Why is this happening? I'm missing emails because of this and it's a bit of a pain.

Anyone having any similar problems and/or know a fix?

Advertisement
  2. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member

Hundreds of people all over the world with desires and nexus ones have this problem, including me! There are dozens of threads about it on here, you may have to try a new ROM or wait for froyo 2.2

Rotor likes this.
  3. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, I did find threads on here regarding this issue with other phones so just wanted to make sure Desire users are having the same issues.

I'll hold out for 2.2

I can live with it for now, have wi-fi at home and work. Just annoying I can't get reliable updates and emails when I'm out and about.

4. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

I'm not standing for the problem, as most people on here may know :) I'm on my third Desire because of data connection issues - it's very annoying. My carrier - Orange - are investigating why it's happening.

All my mentions of software updates on HTCs website (which I think are radio updates and could fix the issue) are falling on deaf ears. Quite why Orange aren't pushing the software update I don't know - but perhaps the updates are only applicable for phones on specific networks. I wish HTC would specify if that were the case though.

It's enough that I'd rather go back to my Blackberry than carry on for a potential three months waiting for Froyo. As it stands I'll probably be getting another Desire replacement, and if that doesn't fix it then I'll do my British best at "demanding" a totally different handset.

5. Longfellow78

Rasobey, I'm on Orange too and am on my second handset.
    3g worked fine at first on the second one, but started screwing up after 3-4 days. Also had problems with texting and making/receiving calls when connected by 3g.

What ROM and baseband versions do you have? I think that there are bugs in certain HTC versions (Nexus one users and Desires in the USA also have these problems) so i dont think its an Orange problem per se, but a problem with the baseband (radio) version that orange is using, and they are too lazy to update it.
    My cousin has a Desire on O2, with a different ROM and baseband and it's fine.
    Also HTC told me themselves that there was probably a problem with the Orange ROm version.

I have ROM 1.15.61.10 and BaseBand 32.30.00.28u_4.05.00.11.

6. Andy704

Andy704 Active Member

Well I have same issue , I'm on t mobile, as stated on my other thread, mine comes with mms issue to, sent pic messages, not getting to any one, ordering new sim now as my sim is 5 years old and out of date, said was not a 3g card, and not as hi tech as are now, worth trying that if your card older that few years old,, I don't hold my breath on this though,

7. punky

punky Well-Known Member

8. Andy704

Andy704 Active Member

Try this, go to network settings, go to apn settings in internet settings, delete and leave empty user name and password,, fixed mine, if having issues with mms. Do same to picture messaging apn settings,
    Andy

9. Andy704

Andy704 Active Member

Try this, go to network settings, go to apn settings in internet settings, delete and leave empty user name and password,, fixed mine, if having issues with mms. Do same to picture messaging apn settings,
    Andy

10. rasobey

Longfellow78: yes I'm using the same versions as you.

Orange had me change APN settings but that didn't help unfortunately.

Toggling airplane mode doesn't normally fix the problem either, nor does a complete power cycle.

11. rasobey

Longfellow78: yes I'm using the same versions as you.

Orange had me change APN settings but that didn't help unfortunately.

Toggling airplane mode doesn't normally fix the problem either, nor does a complete power cycle.

12. Longfellow78

Thanks for suggestions, but neither does anything for me.
    I think I will try goldcarding to another clean/vanilla version of 2.1 with a different radio and then wait for HTC to release Froyo and swap to that.

I don't want to be insulted by Orange anymore by using their appalling bastardised ROMs and cheap attemps to make money with their junk software.