Losing sound during callsSupport

Last Updated:

1. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I'm having problems with something on my Inc. When I'm in the middle of a call, with the call still connected and plenty of signal, I'll lose sound completely. Usually, this happens with the party on the other end of the call no longer being able to hear me. This doesn't happen on every call but it's happened numerous times now and really getting on my nerves. I mean, I love the features of the phone but in the end, it still *is* a phone and I need it to be able to be reliable as a phone.

I've tried *228 several times, both updating the software and roaming options, no help. I have the new(er) software that came out shortly after release and it was having the problem both before and after the software update.

Has anyone else had these issues?? Any ideas what it could be? Also, any thoughts as to what Verizon would do about it? I mean, if there are no new Inc's around, how would they replace it?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
    Rae

Advertisement
  2. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member

I've had this issue a couple of times. Upon hangup and re-dial the issue is fixed.

3. varaonaid

But are you ok with that? I'm definitely not. It's one thing to be in an area without coverage and that being the reason for losing a call but not because the phone loses sound when it has full signal! Problem is this has happened several times during important calls where I can't just hang up and redial. I mean, I'd have to admit that I'd be lost without all the internet and text features and apps but it's a phone so it has to work as such.

I'd still love to hear if others are also having this problem so we know a bit more of it's isolated or more widespread. Any thoughts as to cause, cure, or what I should do about it would be super.

4. sgtmilstack

sgtmilstack Well-Known Member

You are not alone, unfortunately:http://androidforums.com/support-tr...quality-very-sub-par-not-signal-strength.html. Also go thru HTC's and VzW's support forums and you will see a thread or two regarding the audio issues.

I also am the victim of the audio issues (for me its the dropping of syllables and garbled sound).I voiced my concerns with VzW less than a week after I received my Incredible.

The tech I spoke to believed that the cause of the issues was caused by hardware not software. As of now, I'm waiting for a replacement and hope that it doesn't have the same problem (or anything else for that matter).

But this thread this thread, http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/104732-new-software-patch-way.html, may be the solution (and goes against what the tech believed).

5. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I had the same issue waiting for replacement. I have a few friends with the same issue and dropping calls. I might cancel my replacement and go another route looks like the incredible will have this issue with all of them.

6. varaonaid

But what do I do since I'm over the 30 day return period? I really don't wasn't to keep having these issues with a replacement. I mean, I guess I'll go ahead and get the exchange process going but is there another option? If this is a widespread issue, I'd almost see if they'd let me exchange for a refurbished moto droid and reuse my upgrade when the new droids come out at the end of summer. Thoughts?

7. Doc_Stew

Doc_Stew Well-Known Member

Both myself and my fiance have the SAME damn problem! Sound cuts out randomly for several seconds - doesn't matter if cell phone or land line. It's annoying as hell, and I wish I would've noticed it more during my 30 day window. Now I'm sure I'm stuck with the phone that can't function as an actual phone.

8. varaonaid

I'm sorry to hear that you, your fiance, and so many others have had the same problem. But I'm distressed to realize that this really is a widespread issue. Since the phones are so backordered, I don't even know how they would handle replacing it. I just don't think that a phone that can't function reliably as a phone is OK. I realize that I probably sound overly paranoid about this but I'm having a number of severe medical problems right now and a number of the calls that have dropped out have been to drs where I can't just redial and call them back. In addition, the idea that I could have a med problem and not be able to get help because the phone decided to act up is a stressful one - and yet a very real likelihood.

I mentioned this to the instore reps at our local Verizon store before the 30 day period was up but they hadn't heard of the problem. They mentioned the OTA update that was coming and I said that I already had that installed with no improvement. They kinda shrugged and looked generally dazed and confused. So, I shouldn't have trusted what they said that they "thought" it was another OTA that hadn't been released soon. I guess with positive reviews of the call quality, I just put it down to reception, etc. But the more it happened and I noted the high signal strength, the more I realized that there really is a problem.

I'm just really bummed out. It seemed like the perfect phone that I waited SO long for and now I literally get stressed when I make a call wondering if it will stay working and the BT on it doesn't work properly either. I just don't know what to do to get it solved. As I said, I don't know if I'll ever see a replacement since they are so backordered. I'd be willing to consider some creative alternatives with Verizon to sort this out.

Please keep adding your thoughts and experiences. If enough of us are having this problem maybe VZW will be more likely to be responsive??

9. varaonaid

Oh, I noticed this was moved...sorry if I put it in the wrong area.

10. varaonaid

Just a quick update...ended up calling VZW and after getting transferred and finding that two different reps couldn't order a replacement Inc, today, they worked it out and I'll have the replacement either tomorrow or Wednesday. Given the problems I've had with dead airspace during calls, crappy call quality and speakerphone, terrible touchscreen and pink screen, reboots, and general sluggishness, I hope this one's better.

11. aprillh

aprillh Well-Known Member

You are not the only one! I have had the same issues. What is happening more frequently with me is the person on the other end can't hear me from the get go. I've been debating doing a hard reset in hopes that that would fix it, but dread the setup involved afterwards. So I'm on the fence. If it gets worse, I may go ahead and hard reset. If not, I will live with it. I am eager to see if your replacement phone is better. Keep us posted!

12. Doc_Stew

Doc_Stew Well-Known Member

let us know how the new phone is varaonaid! How did you find an Inc so fast? I want a replacement but don't want to wait a month!

13. aprillh

aprillh Well-Known Member

Rae what's the latest on your phone situation? Has the replacement Dinc made a difference?

14. varaonaid

Sorry, I hadn't seen the additional posts!

1st thing...don't talk to customer service!! Talk with tech support. CS told me I'd have to wait over a month and could buy a certified refurb Eris to hold me over for "only" $200. I kept trying to explain nicely why that wasn't acceptable and eventually she gave up on me and dumped me to tech support. The tech support associate was appalled that she said it would be over a month and even more appalled that she said I needed to pony up another $200 in the meantime. She was having trouble placing the order but between her and her associate, had my a replacement DInc in two days.

Unfortunately, I'm having many of the same problems with it and also some new ones. :/ Long story short (if you want to read the longer version, search by my username and see the thread about saying goodbye to my DInc), they asked me to take it to my local VZW store to verify some of the issues because I had expressed concern now with HTC's build quality and the phone in general and asked what options would be there for switching to a different phone altogether. I think they wanted to just make sure I wasn't trying to get a free upgrade to the latest phone, which I honestly wasn't. I was concerned that so many of the problems were intermittent that the in store tech might not be able to verify all of them but he was easily able to verify the three worst and said that the overheating issue alone was enough for a replacement. So, I told this to the tech who I was working with who then never got back to me and yesterday, a different tech was easily able to help. I mentioned that had talked of swapping it for a DX and she couldn't find that notated on the account but asked me if I preferred having a DInc in two days or checking on the DX. I said let's try the DX, she checked with her supervisor who I guess cleared it without trouble, and my new DX is on the way. So, the phone situation is resolved, but not with a DInc. It's been a nightmare to deal with and has added a lot of stress to my situation.

On a related note, I had a friend ask me two days ago if I always answer the phone on speakerphone. I said I almost never use it. He said the reason he asked was that the call quality from my end was so terribly bad with tons of echo, background noise, etc that he had always assumed it had to be on speakerphone. So It was interesting to have my issues confirmed unsolicited from the opposite end.

Sad story with a hopefully happy ending...I'll miss my DInc but it's issues have made it very easy to say goodbye to. :(