• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Losing Sound on HTC M8

So I got an HTC M8 3 weeks ago most of it has been working fine but about a week after I got it I noticed that I was not getting any sound when a test message would come in so I checked all of the settings which were correct and then tried to play a song I uploaded which played for two seconds before stopping. After a restart it corrected itself and I figured it was a glitch and moved on but this morning it did the same thing and I had to restart to get the sound back. Is this something I should ignore as a glitch or could their be something wrong with my phone.

Hello and welcome Jenny:)
I've moved your thread into your device forum just in case others who have your device have run across the same issue;)
Worst case to try to fix it, is to factory reset....you'll lose your data if not backed up, but something worth trying if all else fails.
Perhaps someone here can offer something simpler than a reset :)

Upvote 0
Hi Jenny and welcome to AF. The problem is not a known glitch of the M8. Being as you are newly using the phone, I would suggest a factory reset to start anew. It is a hassle to start over but I hate to see you starting off without the stability and great performance this phone is going to bring to you.

Do be warned that a factory reset will take the phone to it's factory fresh condition so accumulated data and settings will be purged in the process.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
So I got an HTC M8 3 weeks ago most of it has been working fine but about a week after I got it I noticed that I was not getting any sound when a test message would come in so I checked all of the settings which were correct and then tried to play a song I uploaded which played for two seconds before stopping. After a restart it corrected itself and I figured it was a glitch and moved on but this morning it did the same thing and I had to restart to get the sound back. Is this something I should ignore as a glitch or could their be something wrong with my phone.

Hi Jenny, recently I had a similar experience with music tracks on my M7 which I cleared by doing a 'wipe cache partition'.

The procedure is the same on the M8 so it may be worth trying before a factory reset - it does not affect your data or settings and only takes a couple of minutes.

It has cleared a number of weird glitches on my M7 over the 18 months I've had it and so far I've avoided having to do a factory reset.

Before booting into Recovery, ensure that fast boot has been turned off:

1. Tap Menu

2. Tap Settings

3. Tap Power

4. Uncheck the box for Fast boot.

Once fast boot has been turned off, reboot into Recovery to wipe cache partition:

1. Power off the device
2. While holding down the Volume Down button, press the Power button. The device will boot into the bootloader which is a white screen with 3 Androids at the bottom screen.
3. Using the Volume Down button, select RECOVERY
4. Press the Power button to select the option. Device will reboot into a black screen with a red exclamation mark in a red triangle atop a device.
5. Press and hold Volume up. Tap power. Release volume up when you see a blue menu (Recovery menu).
6. Using Volume Down button, highlight the Wipe cache partition option.

NOTE: Be sure that Wipe cache partition is highlighted. Do not choose Wipe data/factory reset as this will result in loss of data!

7. Press the Power button to select the option
8. When the process, is complete, ensure that Reboot system now option is highlighted.
9. Press the Power button to select the option and reboot the device into the OS.

Note:- I found that the reboot in step 4 takes about 45 seconds to complete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to reboot at the Red Triangle holding the volume up and pressing the power button until it restarted (while continuing to hold volume up), but the phone merely rebooted to the start screen. What am I doing wrong!!!!!

Hi smitty, I've just checked on my M7 - at step 5 I press and hold 'volume up' then just tap the power button and it brings up the recovery menu, release 'volume up' and use 'volume down' to select 'wipe cache partition'.

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones