Lost all pictures - SPMO files still thereSupport

Last Updated:

1. MadScientist18

MadScientist18 Member This Topic's Starter

I had my Droid X plugged into my computer and the next day when I was using it, noticed that all of my pictures were gone. My DCIM folder is empty, with all 100 pics missing.

I do have a folder in the DCIM folder called SPMO files and it has many .spmo files that are roughly 500k each in size.

Does anyone know what happened to all of my pictures and is there any way to recover them. I've tried a restart and that did not work. Has anyone else had this happen to them.

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

I haven't had that many pics on my phone yet, but yes, I've had all of my pic files deleted after connecting to the PC. There's another thread about this as well -- sounds like a fairly serious bug for an 8 megapix camera phone to have. My contacts, wallpaper and what few photos I took or copied over to the SD card were wiped.

3. rickdoc

rickdoc New Member

Same thing just happened to me
    Anyone got and answer?

4. WTrax

WTrax Member

Same here, but not all of mine just 3/4 of them are missing.

5. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

I just had this happen again last night.

I read where someone said they connected their X in USB "PC Mode" in order to fix the Battery Manager force close issue, so I thought I would give it a shot (what could it hurt, right?). Well, oddly enough, I was able to look at the Battery Manager stats after that. However, nearly all of my 600 vacation pictures that I just took last week have been deleted!!

Fortunately, I learned from my earlier experience and had already copied my photos to my PC and backed them up once I returned from vacation. But still. This is "pretty bad." Not only were my photos deleted, but my wallpapers and other pictures from before.

I went from having about 8 gigs left on my SD card to over 11 gigs. That's actually what tipped me off that I had probably lost my pics again.

(Note: A small number of pictures did not get deleted for some reason. It's almost as if I interrupted the deletion process or whatever caused the deletion to occur stopped after I disconnected the phone from the PC).

That said, I'm not listing this as a specific "2.2" issue because I had the same thing occur on 2.1.

6. Nibbles37

Nibbles37 New Member

This just happened to me as well, I have no idea what could have caused it, all of my pictures, even ones I didn't take with my phone are gone.

7. codyL

codyL New Member

Has anyone figured this out yet? That is whether or not it is possible to recover images from just the spmo file??
    I lost important photos and I still have the spmo files.

8. CliffyB311

CliffyB311 New Member

Unfortunately I've had important pictures and videos wiped out on at least two different occasions. I don't know is if this is an Android issue or SD card issue or both for that matter. I think there should be a sticky and the Android community should try to find the cause of this and a fix.

9. MaPMaKaR

MaPMaKaR Active Member

That happened to me twice! I lost most of my pix and vidz for no apparent reason... I brought it into the store and the tech swapped out he SD card (with a Samsung) and it never happened again.

10. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Just dumped all 600(yes 600) pics onto my computer before I became a victim too.

11. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

A simple work around is to get a Photobucket account, download the Photobucket app, and set it to upload your pics as you take them.
    Every pic that I take uploads within minutes of me taking the pic, I will always have those as a backup.

12. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I have Photobucket but not set to auto-upload( I take too many pics for the sake of taking pics). Many don't come out as I want to so I re-take a LOT of pics. Something to think about though.
    I could just use the manual upload tool i guess, which I do but I usually only do that to post them on a website somewhere.

13. Azoth

Azoth New Member

There is a program called card recover which can recover pictures from memory cards after they have been deleted. It can even recover pictures off of a card that has been formatted. I don't know if it will work on an android file system card, but it may be worth a try for those who have lost their pictures.

14. uninvitedsaint

uninvitedsaint New Member

It happens when you disconnect the phone from the computer in the middle of any sort of file activity (transfers, writes, etc.). I pulled the card and ran a recovery tool asap, but lost a few really important pics in the deal. It was a lesson learned, though.

15. PiArLe

PiArLe New Member

Please can someone answer the original question!??? Same thing happened and I lost my son's first day on the job!!! Really really want that picture back, not to mention the other 369 pictures! Please if there is any way, any way at all to recover these photos, please let us know!