Lost All Pictures, Videos, and MoviesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I frequently (once a week), will manually check for firmware, PRL, etc. updates. Yesterday, I tried whatever "Update Profile" is and after that I lost all of my pictures and videos. Is that what did it? Or do I have another issue here? Or did it happen after I took a pic of my home screen with ShootMe?

Also, I'm pretty sure I just copied my videos file from my PC (30 AVI's) to my SD card and then phone read them. Now, it won't, any after some research it doesn't look like the EVO even supports AVI? I'm pretty sure I didnt' convert anything than one DVD.

Otherwise this phone is suhweet. 32GB cards can't come fast enough.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

The evo can't play avi's, so thats probably why you cant see them anymore. For the pictures, what are your talking about? pictures taken with the camera?

3. Ilya

ALL pictures were wiped. I went into gallery and there was nothing there. I went into the SD card and all the folders/pictures I had in the root of the drive were empty.

And I know why it's not playing NOW (videos), but I'm pretty sure I didnt' convert videos when I put them on originally. Or perhaps they were already in .mp4 from my Pre. I'm not so worried about the videos as I am about the pictures.

Why did "Update Profile" in settings wipe all my pictures?

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Technically that wouldn't have an effect on the pictures, so maybe it was just a fluke with the sd card. Have you took the battery out and reset the phone?

5. Ilya

No? I've taken the battery out and have rebooted...

6. ngmasterj

ngmasterj Member

Same thing happened to me 5 minutes ago. I updated my PRL and my profile, and now all my movies, videos, and pictures are gone. I mounted sd card and explored my sd card. Everything's gone. WTF

7. Ilya

It has to be the "Update Profile" thing then because I know for a fact doing PRL doesn't.

WTF is right. What profile does it even refer to? This isn't a Palm Pre with WebOS (which has a profile you sign into when you boot your phone up the first time).

8. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member

It does not makes any sense, doing a Update Profile just refreshes your device info on the Sprint servers it does not touch the SD at all since it does not have to, I just spent the last 3 hours updating my profile every 30 minutes and I have yet to lose something from my SD.

9. Ilya

That's why I'm scratching my head!

I just did it twice and I still have my media.

10. ngmasterj

ngmasterj Member

Sigh... goddamnit. What should we do?

11. yemus

yemus New Member

Just wanted to say that I also had this issue. After running PRL update, pictures and videos were deleted. I'm really pissed. Funny thing is that I also have lookout app installed which is supposed to back up my pictures and those pictures were also deleted. This is weird!!!

12. rob_j33

rob_j33 New Member

Generally speaking, a phone will not dump pictures or media with out going to some effort. That is, one must almost aim to do it, I say almost because there's always a chance for an anomaly. Anomalies being; electrical/water damage, faulty card, faulty phone, faulty software etc.

Not knowing exactly the steps taken when utilizing a computer to access an sd card, it is speculative. Most likely when moving files from a computer to an sd card, pictures were inadvertently deleted or a support file used to open them.

Never format the sd card in any shape/form/way or pictures (media) will be lost permanently. Moving the sd card over to a computer may be the only way to salvage pictures (media). If a phone is unable to access media, it doesn't mean it is gone or deleted.

If media (pictures/videos) on a phone is important, one should move it over to another piece of equipment; computer, another device, cd/dvd media, that is, back it up. A direct fail safe way to do this, is to move the sd card to a reader (a card reader can be purchased for under $20.00 @ Walmart) open it onto a computer and create a folder, and 'copy' the entire sd cards contents into the folder. If you 'move' the contents, it will no longer be on the sd card. Media can also be moved via a USB cable, from phone to computer.

At any point a crash or perhaps lost phone occurs, the pics/documents/etc are duplicated off the sd card and backed up onto another device; computer, or CD/DVD media.

If an issue were to occur, then format the sd card and copy the contents out of the folder back onto the sd card and the media should be restored to the sd card and the phone/device should be able to read it.

If a computer is not optional, another bluetooth device could be used, to copy/share the important pictures/media. Bluetooth has become easier to utilize and is a convenient way to move/share items from one device to another, no cables needed or needing to remove the sd card.

Generally speaking, and no offense, sd cards, phones, etc. are not usually the problem, but user error, to some degree. Yes, there's no argument, there can be problems with equipment & software.

The primary issue most people have with their equipment is that they don't understand how to interact with it. Make no mistake, a person MUST learn its language, because no matter how frustrated a person becomes or how much it is cursed at, it will never understand human language.

One must learn, to a degree, how it's software is written & specific steps taken to utilize it and to make changes or corrections. If a person becomes angry and causes physical damage to the phone, then the issue can and will most likely compound.

Thank you,

rob j.

13. 1337haXXor

1337haXXor New Member

Well that last post was useless.. I'm kind of in the same boat. Just reflashed the stock ROM and I can't play Pokemon Go on ANYTHING custom... Anyway, figured since I was stock, I could do some updates. Sure enough, after updating the "Profile," which reboots the phone, I lost all pictures and video, but ONLY ones in the standard Camera location DCIM/Camera, although I DO still have thumbnail information for those missing files (DCIM/.thumbnails). Fortunately I hadn't taken many pictures before trying to update the profile, but why does this happen?

I gather that updating the profile resends your info to Sprint and is mostly useful in the case of getting a new phone to update your information? So I don't see how that would affect your pictures, but ONLY the ones in the Camera folder (at least in my case). Anyway, 5 year necro post, I know, but I can't find anything else online and I wonder if anyone here has found a reason.