Lost Contacts

Last Updated: 2011-04-25 01:47:55
  1. rosario04

rosario04 Member

Hello everyone. Rooted my EVO HTC this weekent and did not backup contacts on my phone. Anyway to get my contacts back? Will restore help?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Well-Known Member

you mean you had contacts on your phone and not on the cloud???? big big no no. Have you tried sigining into your phone with your google account to see if they appear?
  3. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Well-Known Member

U have to go in settings. Display options form there check all the boxes
  4. beastinbolts

Ya and make sure u log in to Google
  5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

When you go into the People app, click on menu, then import / export, import from sd card. If any backups were made automatically it will pop up. click on it and hit restore. Your contacts should be there, if a file is found.

From now on, when you enter a new contact, add it to your google acct. it'll be saved to the cloud, and loaded when you log into google no matter what rom you flash. ;)
  6. rosario04

rosario04 Member

Thanks for reply. But it tells me "No V Card File Found On SD Card".
    How do you add it to google account?

Thanks
  7. rosario04

rosario04 Member

My phone contacts not email contacts. Thanks.
  8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

when you entered your contacts initially did you save them to your phone or to google? anytime you enter a contact it should ask you to which you want it to go to. if you choose google everything is saved and can be easily restored when signing in to google. if you did not do that initially, you may have lost them.
  9. beastinbolts

When u set your phone up did u create a goggle account..... if u did login to Google and u will have your contacts.... and when u toggle the view there are more options then just email
  10. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Yeah, that great thing about these android phones are that they sync great with google. With a gmail contact, you can add lots of data (such as phone number). And with these phones you can create contacts for "phone" or "google" (something like that). Phone contacts will not sync with your gmail account while the google ones will. This is great if you try out lots of roms. Also, you have the option to export and import the contacts. This will back up the contacts to the SD card on your phone.

Good luck in recovery, or if that doesn't work... lesson learned I suppose.
  11. rosario04

rosario04 Member

Yes. I really screwed up , now I have to do the painstaking task. Thanks to everyone and yes I learned a few other things along the way. Backup,Backup and Back up....especially before any rooting process. Last question. Is the re a way to restore to an earlier point like a Windows system restore? Thanks
  12. evomattnc

evomattnc Well-Known Member

Yes, make a nandroid back up in recovery. Then you can just restore it whenever. ALWAYS make nandroid back ups in recovery they will save you in many occasion.

A nandroid takes the current partitions and makes an image of your internal (and external if you selected it) and makes a copy and backs them up to your external so you can restore them whenever you want.
  13. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Well-Known Member

OK I have another question.
    In the nandroid backup where are the contacts saved?
    I did a backup and copied my sd card to my computer. I'd like to get my contacts back from the back up I have on my computer. I had to update and completely re-root my phone and lost everything.
    I know long hard way, but I was on the road and it was the only way.
  14. Granite1

I'm not really sure if you can extraxct them from a nandroid file. I've never heard it was possible or there was a way of doing this. Granted I've never looked into it either.
    You could make a new nandroid of your current rom, restore the old one, export your contacts to your SD card, then nand back, import from SD card. I know it's a PITA, but I don't know of a way to get around this.
  15. 82ndCowboy

Thanks, but I got my phone pretty much back to where it was. I don't want to go through reloading roms again.
  16. Granite1

If you make a nandroid it saves your phone image exactly the way it is now. once you extract your contacts from the old nandroid, restore your new nandroid, and it's back to exactly the way it was when you started. Thats the beauty of nandroids. You can try anything new and not loose what you have. :D
  17. 82ndCowboy

But my problem is the new nandroid is on my phone, the old is on my computer, I think? I backed up my SD card, but not sure if the nandroid is in there.
  18. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I suppose you could always restore from the nanadroid backup, then back up the contacts to the sd card, and then nandroid back to the rom you want.

It is an extra step, but I'm not sure where the contact data is otherwise stored (I'm sure someone here does though).