Lost data and internet connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. dunedin

dunedin New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

New on here - been browsing this site for info and very useful. But now need help from you guys

Took my HTC Desire to Italy and since then have lost all mobile data connections - though works fine on WiFi.
    Switched on airplane mode for flights, and switched off data roaming to reduce overseas costs. But when switched back on to use internet couldn't get any network connection

Now back in the UK still same issue - no internet, and cannot send MMS picture messages - even when in strong 3G signal
    Tried all the options I can find but no joy at all.

Any hints ? Its an HTC Desire with Droid 2.2 on 3 UK

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

Try turning off your phone, removing the battery, sim card & sd card.
    Refit your sd card, sim card, & battery & turn your phone back on, this may help with your problem.
    If this fails then its a case of factory reset, this is a last resort as you will lose all your apps & settings.
    Use a back up tool to prevent loss of apps.

3. dunedin

Thanks - Tried the battery / SIM etc out aproach - but still no joy

Loathe to go for factory reset yet as lot of work to redo setup - and unless understand root cause will just recur.

Anybody else come across this one ?

4. dunedin

So now sorted - and pretty easily done, though not easy to find due to lack of informative messages

Somewhere along the way - possibly the Android 2.2 upgrade or when roaming overseas - it lost a key setting that is a bit obscure
    > Mobile Network Settings > Access Point Name

Three resent the settings and resetting this (to 3 in this case) and instantly back online. Sounded like a common problem from what they said

PS A great service from the 3 support desk - answered very quickly, diagnosed the problem very quickly and phoned me back on my other mobile while we restarted the phone and did the settings.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yep, APN settings are possibly the most common cause of lost internet connectivity or MMS sending / receiving on all phones that have these features.