• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help lost data connectivity notification annoying

J

jbrodmann

I've been scouring the internet looking for someone who has had this same issue... I'm assuming I'm the first to report this........

Got the droid a couple of days ago. I'm currently living in the mountains of NC and we have 3g in the area (well, on the highways.) When I leave the highway and head to my house, of course I lose the cell signal and therefore the data signal. ok, no surprise there. I knew I wouldn't have data that far off the highway. The problem I am having is the notification that pops up and says "you lost data connectivity because" and then...that's it. That's all I see, when I click it, it may vanish for about an hour, but it returns, whether I have a wireless signal or not... maybe it's just an app. anyone with google voice having this issue? I believe that's the only app, outside of the default applications, that accesses data.

Do you have any other problems? I swapped out my first Droid because of reboot issues. The one I have now has an exclamation point at the top and is rebooting and a black screen that I cannot recover from unless I remove the battery. I called Verizon this morning and they are sending me another one. I also noticed wi-fi drop off. I am thinking that some of these are duds. As I am typing this my Droid is totally unusable until I remove the battery. I can make calls, but as soon as I start typing something the exclamation point comes up and the phone freezes. I am getting a little discouraged. I so badly want this phone to work.

Upvote 0
I discovered the issue, with the help of a very nice Verizon techie Lady....here ya go:

If you downloaded Google Maps, along with it came Latitude and Navigation - all 3 seperate icons/apps that are married, as it were. The Annoying Announcement Lady lives in the basement of the Latitude App (which we can all now lovingly refer to as "The Stalker App"). To shut her up, there is no Notifications setting to close the door and lock her away. You have to sign out of Latitude, and voila - no more announcements.

You can still use Google Maps, etc., but Google won't know where you are anymore (nor will anyone you've set up to "see" you)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones