• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lost IMEI number

Commer

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
My 18 month old LG G3 beat stopped working suddenly. Turned it off one night then on restarting it would not find a network. Sent it to LG for warranty repair and was told it had lost its IMEI info and was not warranty so their agents Evertec want to charge me $220 to reflash the phone which only cost $250 brand new. I am at a loss to know why this is not covered as it seems to be somewhat of a problem with these phones. My question is can I do the repair myself using my pc and whatever software is needed and how is it done ? Thanks

Had you rooted the device or modified it in any way? There have been instances where an IMEI was lost during flashing but there's usually a recovery method. I'm confused why Evertec is mentioned as they just seem to be a payment processing service, not a tech support company. Did you have insurance for this?

As for doing it yourself, if you have the stock firmware, then you should be able to reflash it, but I can't guarantee that it will reestablish your IMEI. Do you know it? It's usually printed on the original packaging somewhere.

Reactions: Bg260 and Slug
Upvote 0
Are you sure it's the IMEI that was missing and that your SIM just didn't go bad? If you have the phone in your possession now, and you can log in, go to settings>about phone>status>IMEI information and see if it lists a valid number (don't post it here please). Then, if you still have the packaging, make sure it matches the number on the box.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I've had a few Samsungs and even the Motorola I'm currently using loose their IMEI but usually happens Flashing custom Roms or from custom back to stock.
Reflashing the stock firmware with the correct baseband/modem usually fixes this if the EFS partition isn't trashed due to a hardware issue.
I definitely try flashing the stock firmware, you might get lucky.
On my Motorola, I had to flash the modem portion of the firmware twice before the baseband and IMEI corrected.

Upvote 0
I've had a few Samsungs and even the Motorola I'm currently using loose their IMEI but usually happens Flashing custom Roms or from custom back to stock.
Reflashing the stock firmware with the correct baseband/modem usually fixes this if the EFS partition isn't trashed due to a hardware issue.
I definitely try flashing the stock firmware, you might get lucky.
On my Motorola, I had to flash the modem portion of the firmware twice before the baseband and IMEI corrected.
Unfortunately I would not know where to start to reflash the stock hardware and I assume that Evertec know this and its why they charge so much

Upvote 0
Hi,

Open the link below

https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard

You will be prompted to sign in.

When the page opens
Tap on Android logo button
Here you can see the IMEI number of all devices ever logged in to this account.
Never even herd of this one before, nice to know about it. All of my phones on the first line list: IMEI except my LG VK810, and it has: MEID, haven't herd that before either. I will have to check it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones