• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root lost on rooting

i did the nand backup but I don't know if i should flash zip from sdcard or reboot system now. it says I don't have a zip file found. ???

Plug your Eris into your computer via USB. This time, go to the notification bar and click on "USB Storage" (or something to that effect... I don't remember what it's called in Sense).

Then go to My Computer, and you should see a new drive there (removable drive, something like that). Open that up and you should see the contents of your SD card.

Now find your Evil Eris zip file, and copy the file (DO NOT UNZIP IT) and paste it onto your SD card (the new drive that you just looked at). DO NOT put it in any of the folders... just right in the base of the SD card (the first thing you see when you open it).

After it's done copying, go back to your phone and put it back to Charge Only. Then unplug your USB.

Now, turn your phone off and then restart into recovery mode (hold vol-up + power).

Select the "Flash from zip" option, then you should see your Evil Eris file. Press the trackball to confirm the install, then just watch it do its thing. Once it's done, reboot, and you're all set.

(note: vol-down goes back to the previous menu when you're in Recovery Mode)

Reactions: kobel1up
Upvote 0
ok I still have hboot 1.49, but in setting about phone it says I have evileris 3.0 under build number. so is it rooted? must be, some things are different, but all my stuff is back, is that from the nandroid back up?

You are rooted.

Did you do a "wipe" from the Recovery menu before you flashed the ROM?

All of your contacts and calendar appointments are automatically stored on Google, so when you sign into your Google account on your phone, they all automatically come in.

Nandroid backup is simply an exact copy of your phone at the time of the backup. So, since you did your backup before you installed the ROM, if you were to do a Nandroid Restore right now, it would go back to the previous state. If you did a Nandroid backup right now, it would store an exact copy of your Evil Eris phone as it is at this moment. Then if you change something later, or flash a new ROM to try it out, whatever... you can do a Nandroid Restore to go back to Evil Eris. The nandroid backups are named as the date and time they were created (times are GMT). You can rename them using a file explorer (ASTRO, for example) if you want (i.e. EvilEris-InitialRoot-07.15.2010, or whatever you want). They are located in your /sdcard/nandroid/ folder. If you do rename them, they can include dashes and periods but NO SPACES.

Did any of that make sense? lol...

Reactions: kobel1up
Upvote 0
So, basically, once you are rooted and running Evil Eris 3, you are starting from a blank slate? Meaning, that you have to sign back into your google account and sync all of your contacts, sign back into facebook, redownload all of your apps, etc. Is this correct?

Not really, see after your phone is in recovery I think it asks you if you want to back up your phone, or there is the option to back up your phone. Press track ball on that selection. then select nandroid backup its at the top of the list. press track ball then it will do a backup. when I rebooted my phone it looked like it did before, but it was the evil eris 3.0.

if you wait till later I will be doing my wifes phone and can tell you exactly what happens I kinda forget.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones