• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost root access after reformating SD card // phone unstable :(

DanniAdams

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
Hey guys, I am super new to rooting/flashing and modding my phone. So this is what happened:
I have an LG Ms323 and I rooted it using Towelroot. I used CWM to create recovery image and although my phone wasnt compatible with CWM, I used "Philz recovery for LG L70" to make it compatible? I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what I actually did, because I barely understand it. Anyways, I flashed "Carbon rom for LG Ms323" and it worked like a charm (after getting through a boot loop of course). Then my next goal was to to start messing around with my SD card and ended up creating a ext4 partition that was way too big (like half of my 32gb sd card). After a couple of days I decided to try and fix the partition and make it smaller, thus leaving more room on my SD card. I used CWM to create a backup recovery and then used a card reader and "MiniTool" to mess with my SD card. Long story short, I deleted the "ext4" partition, created a new one, and made the FAT32 partition bigger. I did copy all the contents of my SD card to my computer to be safe, but what ended up happening is when I put it back in my phone, it was immediate to me that I lost root access. The phone took way longer to boot up, its very sluggish, and when I try to use "root browser" it basically says I need root access. Although the Carbon Rom is still on the phone, half my apps got deleted, on top of it running very slow.. I also cant get into CWM anymore, and when I use fastboot, it says that there no recovery img. The file is still on the SD card, but the SD card wont mount. It gives me the option to mount it, in the settings, but it does nothing. I attempted to re-root it using TowelRoot again, but everytime I select "make it rain", the phone just reboots. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to restore my phone back to the way I had it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I think I screwed myself even more. I attemped flash back to my stock because I was trying to re-root using TowelRoot, got stuck in another boot loop.

When you say "flash back to your stock" are you saying you tried flashing a kdz in download mode? Or were you talking about flashing stock recovery somehow? What do you have right now as a means to interface the phone...download mode, fastboot, other?

Upvote 0
My question ... after the fact, of course ... is what were you using the Ext4 partition for? If it was to move apps to, then the reformatting would have certainly made apps disappear. And if SuperSU was one of them,t hen you'd have lost your root manager, too (although technically you still had root, you had no way to grant apps root access.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones