• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lost Root? :(

hapworth

Feb 19, 2016
Hey All,

So after a frustrating run at getting root (using KingRoot, running as many apps as possible, making sure I don't have a Task Manager running)... I managed to get it after using the Desktop App, navigating the menus, having it reboot my phone a few times, errors with processes closing, and it saying it failed. Trying the App on the phone again nailed it. I was ecstatic.

I installed Titanium Backup and it said I have root. I would still see apps and processes dying, so I reboot. And it still seems fine.

After a second reboot, I apparently lost root. The Desktop App now won't let me run it anymore (there is a lock icon? Can't read Chinese) and the app no longer works.

Any ideas? I'm just here trying over and over and it's super frustrating.

One thing that might be important was Google Play kept updating apps during this process. Could there be something that installed that undid all of this? And if so, is there anything I can do to undo that?

Thanks.
-h

Hey All,

So after a frustrating run at getting root (using KingRoot, running as many apps as possible, making sure I don't have a Task Manager running)... I managed to get it after using the Desktop App, navigating the menus, having it reboot my phone a few times, errors with processes closing, and it saying it failed. Trying the App on the phone again nailed it. I was ecstatic.

I installed Titanium Backup and it said I have root. I would still see apps and processes dying, so I reboot. And it still seems fine.

After a second reboot, I apparently lost root. The Desktop App now won't let me run it anymore (there is a lock icon? Can't read Chinese) and the app no longer works.

Any ideas? I'm just here trying over and over and it's super frustrating.

One thing that might be important was Google Play kept updating apps during this process. Could there be something that installed that undid all of this? And if so, is there anything I can do to undo that?

Thanks.
-h
Go into settings-apps-(each Google apk) and uninstall updates then force stop the app, including the Play Store. Reboot.

Upvote 0
Hey thought I'd come back to write an update. I managed to get root back by just constantly trying some combination of the Desktop app and the Phone app.

I don't know if it means anything but whenever my phone would reboot, I'd make sure to unlock the lock screen. In an earlier attempt, I didn't touch it for a long time. When I finally got too curious, I unlocked it and there was a dialog from a root app that was waiting for me to push OK or something (one of the possible solutions that KR attempted).

After which, I made sure I had the TWRP and replacement ROM (Carbon) to flash right away and it all worked out.

Now I'm having SD Card issue... but that's for another thread I suppose.

Thanks for all the support though!
-h

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones