• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost / Stolen Phone apps: the best of the best

Hi, guys. I'm just bumping this old (and very useful) thread to find more info.

I just got my very first smartphone, a samsung galaxy victory, and wanted to make sure that I could recover my phone in-case it was lost or stolen.

I know some people are going to suggest just regular ol' programs, but I want one that can survive a factory reset--I already rooted my phone; I already went this far and don't want a program that a thief can easily uninstall.

Don't believe all thieves are stupid morons with no technical knowledge just because of the opinion you have of them. There's definately a good chunk that's atleast smart enough to wipe the phone clean, like a factory reset, when they swipe it off a person.

So, any more opinions on the programs that OP suggested?

Reactions: speedlever
Upvote 0
I've been using Lookout with both my previous Android and now my GS4. But I just tried to check my location and find that Lookout is not working for some reason. I'm looking (out!) for a replacement "find-my-phone" app for a non-rooted phone.

Seems the main difference between non-rooted and rooted phones is the ability to install to a rooted phone as a system app to prevent the thief from deleting the app.

I was interested in AndroidLost but see that the developer has been absent due to illness for a while which makes me question the viability of that app.

I'm perusing the available apps for what appeals to me in the way of a phone tracking app and am kind of surprised that I haven't found a head to head comparison yet.

Upvote 0
Do any of these apps work to find a lost android if location services is off? My Lookout app works fine if location services is enabled, but won't locate my phone if it is off, which is how I normally leave it (for battery life purposes).

I think most of them can enable the GPS either automatically or by your command. I know Cerberus and Androidlost do.

That reminds me of a question I have, though. Does anyone know which, if any, can handle an unactivated phone by communicating whenever the device has wifi? Some must, for use on tablets.

I ask because I had a nasty experience with Avast recently (not Avast's fault). I have two of the same model phone, one activated and one not. I did a CWM backup of the live one and restored it on the unactivated one. Avast detected that as a SIM change and locked the phone. I tried to send commands to it but Avast was sending text messages and didn't have any other option.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Pls help me in this issue.

I have samsung galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (p310)
i am using lookout anti virus and advance mobile care both...
is it harmfull if i use both...
if i have to take off which is best... Lookout or Advnace Mobile Care

[email redacted]

I haven't used it for a while, but Lookout served me pretty well and was reliable when I used it.

Are you rooted? Cerberus is a very good option if you are.

Upvote 0
Cerberus also lets you use one account to track up to 5 devices. Great feature IMO.
I have recently had my Phone stolen. I obviously can call my carrier and report it; however would enjoy the satisfaction of using some of the remote features to see, hear, and talk to the person who stole my phone. Also back up and wipe clean anything I would rather not get into the wrong hands.
What I'm wondering is which of these five apps can I push onto my phone AFTER its gone?? Android Lost says I can however, it's not showing that I'm not registered. (I've registered a few times, logged out and back in just as it says to do.) No luck. I had AVAST installed on a past phone. I gave it to a friend of mine, and I still get alerts as to when an SD card was removed or something like that.
I have never heard of Cerberus. Going to try that now.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do once your device is already stolen. :( Next device you get install cerberus right away. The sheer number of options for tracking/listening in/taking photos/ remote wipe and tracking is impressive. Also a one time low price covers you for life and that gets you protection on up to 5 devices. Was a no brainer for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones