• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lost the Droid Eye animation

im sorry but all this talk of rooting and things of it confuses the heck out of me.

i tried the root explorer, and tried to move the one i downloaded to system/media but it says i cant paste here because the file system is read only

@_@ i need a step by step how to...

Upvote 0
Don't use root explorer, so I can't help there, but it sounds like you need to make it gain root access so you can read/write. If you have a terminal emulator, and a working knowledge of *nix commands, or just the ability to type this in, this will work.

Download the bootanimation.zip and place it somewhere on your sd card, preferably at the root of your sdcard, which is what these instructions will use.
Open the terminal, and type

su
cp -r /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local
reboot

It will reboot, and should show the red eye boot animation. To save yourself more commands, make sure it is name bootanimation.zip when you put it on your sdcard.

*Edit
Also works with adb shell from your computer, if you have used that before.

Alternatively you can delete the boot animation that sholes uses.

su
cd /data/local
rm -r bootanimation.zip
reboot

Reactions: f12
Upvote 0
Don't use root explorer, so I can't help there, but it sounds like you need to make it gain root access so you can read/write. If you have a terminal emulator, and a working knowledge of *nix commands, or just the ability to type this in, this will work.

Download the bootanimation.zip and place it somewhere on your sd card, preferably at the root of your sdcard, which is what these instructions will use.
Open the terminal, and type

su
cp -r /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local
reboot

It will reboot, and should show the red eye boot animation. To save yourself more commands, make sure it is name bootanimation.zip when you put it on your sdcard.

*Edit
Also works with adb shell from your computer, if you have used that before.

Alternatively you can delete the boot animation that sholes uses.

su
cd /data/local
rm -r bootanimation.zip
reboot

i just downloaded the red rage bootanimation.zip to the root of my sd card. i did the first set of instructions above using a terminal emulator, but i still have the red eye. any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
*edit
Didn't read your post correctly.

Can you check to make sure it's the red rage one for sure? Just browse the zip file and open one of the .png images, in either part0 or part1.

Make sure /data/local has no bootanimation.zip in it and reboot, it should show the red eye. Place the red rage one in there again and reboot. If that doesn't work, you can always place it in /system/media but that will require you to mount it as read/write, you'll have to gain root access to do that. Without the recursive tag (-r) it might not overwrite the old one. I do not know what happens if it can't find a boot animation, so back up your red eye in case this doesn't work for some reason. You can do this from adb shell from your computer too, so don't worry if it doesn't work.

Code:
su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cp -r /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media

mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

sync

reboot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones