Lots of lagGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-08-14 05:20:26
  1. acjohnson55

acjohnson55 Active Member

Just got my S3 today. I've had a number of Android phones before, but I'm surprised by how laggy it seems. I turned off window transitions, and that helps significantly, but there's still just under a 1 sec delay every time I switch apps. Is this normal? It seems a bit ridiculous to me that this thing is more powerful than the average laptop from not too long ago, but screen transitions aren't more or less instantaneous yet.

Advertisement
  2. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

try a diff launcher.

i assume you are using the touch wiz stock launcher?
  3. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Yes, Touch Wiz is buggy. I frequently get a message saying Touch Wiz has failed & it restarts. I know it coming when swiping between screens gets real slow, or when I go to another screen & I see black boxes where my widgets & app icons should be. We just have to be patient until Samsung/Verizon push their first update...all new phones need a little tweaking when launched.
  4. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

I've not experienced any of that; something has to be wrong.

The only "slowdown" I get is with some live wallpapers, the screen slides update ~30 FPS rather than a perfectly fluid 60. Occasionally there's a hitch (only milliseconds long) when there's a widget updating (i.e. news ticker) during screen animations.
    Metfanant likes this.
  5. sideout

sideout Well-Known Member

The only real lag I get is any time I hit the "home" button. It can take almost 1 second to go from whatever app/webpage I am to the home screen.
  6. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Well-Known Member

Somebody on the forums clued me in that the home button is a bit faster when you turn off double-tap for s-voice. (You probably won't miss it anyway, since S-voice is pretty crappy, imo. I anxiously away the new google search on JB.)

open s voice app -> hit menu button -> settings -> uncheck "Launch S Voice"
  7. acjohnson55

acjohnson55 Active Member

Yep, stumbled upon that on another web page--it makes a huge difference! Even more so if you disable screen transitions under Developer Options. I think that lag in going to the home screen was making the whole phone feel slow because of how often I use that button. What a stupid UX move on Samsung's part.
  8. Metfanant

Metfanant Well-Known Member

i second this...there is no reason for TouchWiz to be laggy on our phones...if it is...something is wrong...an update may fix it, but thats only because its rewriting the system...its very likely a factory reset could fix whatever issues you're having right now...

i only used TW for a day or two on my phone before switching to Nova...but i can tell you there was nothing laggy about TouchWiz