Lots of potential down the road?

Last Updated:

1. Kadin

Kadin Active Member This Topic's Starter

Like others here, I'm completely new to Android. I've had every iPhone up to and including the iP4 and it was finally time to make the switch. I must say, I'm damn impressed. I had no specific beef with Apple but I just felt like it was time to expand the horizons... and I'm glad I did.

How do you all feel about the Captivate within this line of phones with regards to its future. Do you think it will be a device that continues to get better and better? I imagine that Samsung has a record for good products but what about AT&T keeping them from doing what they want? Do you see issues with more and more bloatware and/or restrictions keeping this device from ever seeing its true potential?

I've had the phone for 5 days and I absolutely love it. There's some issues I have like battery life and wifi/browser sluggishness but other than that, it's a definite keeper.

Advertisement
  2. SuperAkuma

SuperAkuma Well-Known Member

Samsung does make good product but they have a really bad track record with supporting it.
    I hope samsung will not give up on this device and from what I've read, they won't. This is there flagship phone and they have a lot invested in it.

I really hope they fix the gps issue. I got mine to work sometimes after the custom fix but depending on the location the gps sometimes does not work.

I also hope to see Froyo on this device. I came from the 3GS and am taking a gamble with this phone hoping Froyo will fix the bug. I am slowly adapting to the gps issue, the email issue and the battery issue.

3. SheepE

SheepE New Member

So what is this email issue that's going on?

4. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Just a quick note on the battery issue. I know it has been said a zillion times all over this forum, but the battery "burn in" works. Or at least it did for me. When i first got the phone, I was really worried about battery life. But, the first couple days, I burned the battery down to nothing, then plugged in and charged overnight. I did that 2 or 3 times in a row. Now, today for example, I charged it overnight. During the day, I listened to music on my headphones for about 4 hours, made about an hours worth of bluetooth calls, some web browsing (maybe 20 minuts), Wifi and bluetooth on all day, email checking every half hour, beautiful widgets updating every half hour, another half hour of reading on this forum, and its 1030pm, and I am at 58% battery! I cant complain about that.

Try it, if it doesnt work, maybe try trading in for a new battery. From my own experience, and what I have heard from others, you can get some respectable life out of these things. I have a feeling samsung was really pushing to get this first batch of phones out, so they rushed them thru QC and a bunch of crappy ones got thru. You keep hearing about folks takin them back 3,4, even 5 times. Once you get a good one tho, they kick ASS. Heres hoping samsung keeps up with these and gives us the support and updates to make these phone really do what they are capable of!

5. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

I think that any bettering of the device will be though the hacking community over at XDA. Aside from the update to Android 2.2, I wouldn't expect anything from Samsung. They're known to not support their products beyond a few months of launch. The phone isn't truly open source at the moment either, as Samsung has still withheld the source drivers from the source code.

6. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

i just saw my first samsung captivate commercial on MTV

7. Droopie28

Droopie28 Well-Known Member

yeah im having battery issues too, but I dont mind buying a backup battery... and maybe using the first as an emergency on trips

8. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

I have a lot of faith in this phone for the future.

we havent even tapped in to its potential yet. I cant wait to see what 6 axis gaming comes out for it. I have a lot of faith in Samsung. There never really released high end smartphones before, and i feel like because they released this whole "galaxy s" campaign, they will have better support for it