• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lots of questions (first thread)

scottmog

Sep 9, 2010
Ok so ive got a couple general questions I thought i might as well wrap all into one thread.

Breif background, my motorola cliq was quick in the beginning but now it has seemed to slow down so bad. I even removed almost all extra apps i installed and still its slow as hell, cleared internet and youtube cache and still slow... I use taskiller alot but still it just doesnt seem to get any better.

1. If i do a factory reset, will my contacts be stored in my motoblur account? Essentially i'm asking if I need to back that list up or not.
2. What are way to speed this sucker up? Should I just go ahead and root it and get rid of alot of the bloatware?
3. Is there any better program then taskiller out there?

I know to take my sd card out when i reset, just it case. Most likely Ill go the reset and root route, gotta read up on that a little bit though. Its been at least 4 years since i rooted something, and the last thing i rooted was a windows mobile phone. cingular 8325, that thing was amazing for its time! :) hahah

icon8.gif

1)Yeah, they should restore through your motoblur account. However, to make sure you don't lose them either store your numbers on your sim card, SD card, or use the tmobile backup app.

2)Root it if you want it to be faster

3)...I don't know -.-

thank you very much! :)

did a sstem restore last night, and holy crap it is alot faster. probably becuase of all the picture messages i send and recieve it just got really clogged up.

I'll probably end up rooting it, can u link me to the best guide available? I'll go ahead and looking around on the site, ive read a couple things already. Just really scared and dont wanna brick my phone lol.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, after you delete the HTC drivers you're supposed to manually install the other Motorola drivers I believe. Did you download it from the MOTODEV site?

yup, it was like 36 mb i think.

but when i went to browse for the driver if i cliked any other folder besides the normal windows/options/cab folder the "ok" buton would become grey and unable to click, so i pasted the downloaded files into the cab folder and clicked ok, and i got the same error and before, like I was telling it to search an empty folder.

cannot update this file, like it cant see the driver file ><

Upvote 0
So now, that you've flashed the orange rom. You need to flash the recovery.img file through ADB. This is the part where I got stuck on when I tried it, watch the video by cliqandroid and it shows you exactly what happens when you flash the recovery.img file.

As for renaming the actual ROM, you don't need to do that. Just put that ROM in the root of your SD card.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones