Lots of Root Questions

Last Updated:

1. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having an issue with my phone where it will not connect via bluetooth with This Device after the 2.1 update. I'm going to try some different custom ROMs to see if anyone has fixed my issue.

I've combed through multiple forums trying to find the answers to the following questions, but I haven't had much luck. Many of the posts that are pointed to are very out of date.

1. Can I upgrade from the "forced" OTA (this one)?

2. Can I "Image" my entire phone before root?

3. Is there a way to "unroot" in case I can't find a ROM that fixes my issue?

4. What instructions should I follow to Root my phone? All of the ones that I have seen are dated before the OTA came out.

5. Will the root process work with Windows 7?

6. Is there a custom ROM that only contains bug fixes to the OTA?

7. I have HBOOT 1.46 on my phone will that allow me to get root?

8. How do I know that the ROMs are safe to use (no offense)?

9. Do I need some sort of virus protection or something after rooting?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I really tried to get this information without asking, but there is a lot of old/conflicting info out there.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Wow, feels like a pop-quiz! :D

I'll try to answer a few...I'm sure that other folks will chime-in with the rest.

1. Can I upgrade from the "forced" OTA (this one)?

You should be able to if you originally had a 1.5 phone and accepted the OTA (I see in a later question you have a 1.46 HBOOT--that's good).

2. Can I "Image" my entire phone before root?

Don't think so...you need root to install Amon-RA's recovery image / utility.

3. Is there a way to "unroot" in case I can't find a ROM that fixes my issue?

Yes, there are threads posted with this information in them. Search for "unroot".

4. What instructions should I follow to Root my phone? All of the ones that I have seen are dated before the OTA came out.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

These instructions will also work for 2.1 OTA phones.

5. Will the root process work with Windows 7?

Yes.

6. Is there a custom ROM that only contains bug fixes to the OTA?

There are ROMs that were built from using the V3 leak which was identical to the OTA (for all intents and purposes). I'm using Ivan's Eris Official 1.0 ROM and that's precisely why. There are others too, but you'll have to examine the ROM lists (see the stickied threads in the root section for where to find out more info. about each ROM).

7. I have HBOOT 1.46 on my phone will that allow me to get root?

Yes. This is good.

8. How do I know that the ROMs are safe to use (no offense)?

Safe from what? :D Lots of folks have been using the ROMs that the devs have developed. I know what you are getting at...how do we know we're not being eavesdropped on, etc. Don't think we do / can really know...

9. Do I need some sort of virus protection or something after rooting?

I think there are virus protection apps., but I don't have any knowledge / experience with them.

Good luck!

randomsolutions likes this.
  3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

scary alien did a pretty good job. My comments are in green.

Good luck!

randomsolutions and scary alien like this.