• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lotus Notes

If you have access to webmail you may want to try this;

--Download the Dolphin Browser from the Apps Marketplace - its free.
--After installed, go into settings
User agent ===> change to Desktop
--go to notes.rd.cat.com and login
--you can view and modify email and calendar

That appears to be a Caterpillar specific private network login - so it won't work for the general public. :D

Upvote 0
My understanding is that Traveler works to emulate an exchange server. Afterall, this is how TouchDown is able to work. When I try to use the native exchange support on my Incredible, I get to the point where it asks me to select what I want synced and then I get the error "failed to create the account. please try again later."

Does anyone know exactly what the issue is? Why is the exchange support that Traveler provides good enough for TouchDown and either exchange clients but not good enough for the exchange support built into the htc devices?

Upvote 0
Just a quick follow-up on my experiences so far.

:( CompanionLink
I've used CompanionLink for only a few days (of a 14-day trial) before it went sour; several meetings were rescheduled and that caused those events in my Google calendar to become duplicated and triplicated. I could not clean it up, I had to ask the chairperson to call a new meeting. On top of it all, the trial expired while I was sorting that stuff out.

I've been in contact with CompanionLink customer support to ask what to do, it turns out that they could send me a code for a one-time trial extension, so that I could start the app and send them some error logs. But since the app is 50 bucks and does more than I need, I declined.

:) AweSync
I've now been using AweSync for a couple of days (of a 30-day trial), and so far everything seems great! AweSync can only sync the calendar, not contacts and tasks, but that's all I want anyway (YMMV).

I've been in contact with AweSync customer support to ask if they could implement a minor tweak, and they seemed forthcoming. (FYI, I'd like to be able to view my schedule on my phone, but I don't want to have the associated alarms synced over since my work pc already alerts me.)

AweSync is 20 bucks and, barring any mishaps, I'm probably going to register it when the trial ends. The only minor peeve is that it starts every day with a small nag window; I'm hoping this goes away (leaving only the tray icon) when it's properly registered.

Upvote 0
Hi there,
I'm new on this forum and reading this discussion very carefully.

I was using the HTC Sync v2.x on my PC which perfectly synchronised my Lotus Notes calendar with my HTC Legend. I could do the same with my contacts, but for this I had a big address list in my Outlook Express and it is mainly for private usage. So the calendar syncs with Lotus Notes and the contacts sync with Outlook.

Recently I was prompted in HTC Sync there was a new version. So I installed this version 3.0.5481 and it still syncs normally with my Outlook for contacts, but I can no longer control the Calendar synchronisation. It is greyed out. So I'm even not able to say I want to sync with Outlook or Lotus Notes.

Should I now look for an alternative and throw away this HTC Sync? Or does anybody of you about a setting to re-activate the HTC Sync Calendar function?

thanks in advance
E-Meel

Upvote 0
I tried the SEVEN solution and now decided to remove it.
Reasons:
- service is sometimes not available
- it syncs only my e-mail. I don't see any option to also sync my calendar, and that's the only thing I need. I don't need my e-mail on my phone when it is laying next to me and I work on my PC on which I can read my mail.

So this solution isn't bringing any benefit for me.
greetings
E-Meel

Upvote 0
I have successfully tried CalSync, which is a fairly simple calendar copy tool that copies Lotus Notes calendar entries to your Google Calendar.
I differentiate work appointments from private appointments - and have created a work calendar in Google that I sync to.

It is not syncronization, but it works for me, because I maintain work appointments in Lotus Notes and private appointments in Google.
With CalSync my Lotus Notes work calendar is visible in my android phone.

SourceForge.net: Lotus Notes to Google Calendar tool - Develop

Choose the latest version from files: Lotus Notes to Google Calendar tool - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

Upvote 0
Lotus Notes 8.5.2 has Traveler 8.5.2.1 (released 12/14/10) which supports Android 2.x devices to be able to sync your email, calendar, and contacts, in any combination. It is a free module with Lotus Notes and can be installed on an existing Notes server. You can manage the devices from the Traveler page, and if you lose your device, you can either wipe the application, or wipe the app and the SD card. I have installed it on my Samsung Fascinate, and it works great.

Upvote 0
You are of course entitled to your own opinions, but have you even seen version 8.5 of the Notes client? If you're after pure MTA functionality, you even have free, open source solutions which are a lot cheaper than outlook/exchange.

But then again, if we are talking more than pure MTA functionality, you are way off if you think that the M$ solutions are the "best" (if you take into account, license costs, the huge amount of virtual/physical servers needed, the "rip-and-replace" upgrade path from one M$ version to another (AD, Sql-server), the "lock-in" effect you get (sharepoint, office, etc). I can go on and on about this. Yes, IBM is not perfect but Lotus Domino/Notes are way ahead of anything that M$ tries to come up with (did i mention platform independance, scalability, standardized protocols and services, Open Office).

This is an old post but I had to replay. I am currently using Notes 8.5.1. I work in IT and am responsible for distributing and maintaining the Notes client. To say that Notes is way ahead of anything is nuts. Many of the problems with Notes 8.5.1 as been an issue since I first started using Notes back at version 4. The notes client has the feel of a high school programming class project that has never been finished.

Upvote 0
Lotus Notes 8.5.2 has Traveler 8.5.2.1 (released 12/14/10) which supports Android 2.x devices to be able to sync your email, calendar, and contacts, in any combination. It is a free module with Lotus Notes and can be installed on an existing Notes server. You can manage the devices from the Traveler page, and if you lose your device, you can either wipe the application, or wipe the app and the SD card. I have installed it on my Samsung Fascinate, and it works great.

Hi,
We are running Notes Traveler 8.5.2.2 which Ive set up on my Samsung Galaxy S2, email and calendar all seem to be working and I can do a look up on the corporate directory but it will not sync my local address book from Notes. The box in accounts and sync is ticked and shows as syncing but they just arent there and I cant look them up either.
Do you know how I get this to work without using a third party software?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I sync my Lotus Notes calendar and contacts with my Gmail account (calendar and contacts) using Awesync 4.10.0. It was not free (USD 19,99 with 30 day trial), but it works really well. I now have access to my Lotus Notes calendar and contacts using any Android device (like a Samsung Galaxy tab).
I first make a local replica of my Lotus Notes calendar and contacts, and then sync the local replica with Google. Normally a sync between the Lotus Notes Server and Google should also work, but this way I always have a local backup (and a server backup) and it's faster.
Grtz

Upvote 0
I use IBM Traveler on my Android to access Lotus Notes. My problem is also that as Traveler installs its own Calendar on my Android and doesn't appear to be able to by synced to the Android Calendar; I cannot use any third party Apps like Pocket Informant HD as those Apps sync to the Android App.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Neale

Upvote 0
Hi,
We are running Notes Traveler 8.5.2.2 which Ive set up on my Samsung Galaxy S2, email and calendar all seem to be working and I can do a look up on the corporate directory but it will not sync my local address book from Notes. The box in accounts and sync is ticked and shows as syncing but they just arent there and I cant look them up either.
Do you know how I get this to work without using a third party software?

same problem here .... calendar is sync with Lotus notes, but not the contacts. Phone calls also sync ok .... the problem with contacts is that MPE seems unable to read it from local (names.nsf)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones