Lousy down/up load speed on 3G

Last Updated:

1. johnwoo

johnwoo Member This Topic's Starter

This morning, I was at Sprint store to test out Epic 4G before I commit 2 year contract to it. While playing with it, I realized that compare to the EVO 4G right next to it, the Epic has a much slower upload as well as download speed on 3G network. With Epic, I only got 200k bit/s down and about 100+k bit/s upload speed. While on EVO, I could get 1+ Meg bit/s download and 700+k bit/s upload. This result was consistent for all epic units that I played with. Another problem for this problem filled device. This is a shame for such a nice device.

Advertisement
    tigger2u and Flaspeneer like this.
  2. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Thats a network problem not hardware. Sprint's network can be wonky at times.

3. Nucleartx

Nucleartx Well-Known Member

I'm thinking its a phone issue now. On a tower I tested yesterday morning with a htc hero, I got 2.1 Mbps/900kbps. This morning on epic I couldn't get more than 1.1Mbps on it and my upload can't get above 150kbps on the phone plus tethered. I tried 5 different towers this morning and never got above 160kbps on the speed test on 3G.

If you notice, the speed tests seem to lag while on 3g but rocket on 4g and wifi. I'm almost tempted to ask Sprint if this thing even has a Rev.A chipset in it.

Edit:

• EVDO Rev A: 600Kbps - 1,400Kbps Down (with bursts to 3.1Mbps); 500Kbps-800Kbps Up (with bursts to 1.8Mbps)
    • EVDO Rev 0: 400 - 1000Kbps Down (with bursts to 2.0 Mbps); 50 - 100Kbps Up (with bursts to 144Kbps)
    • 1xRTT (Sprint & Verizon 2G, AKA "NationalAccess"): 50Kbps - 100Kbps with bursts up to 144kbps Down/Up

tigger2u likes this.
  4. Nucleartx

Can get get other users to chime in with 3G speedtest? Using the Speedtest.net app please.

5. johnwoo

This can not be network problem. If so why the EVO, which using the very same network, got much higher speed?

6. hokie gti

hokie gti Member

just tested a moment ago.

3G - Will have to try this again under better reception.
    [​IMG]

Wifi
    [​IMG]

4G test from two days ago
    [​IMG]

7. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Sprints network speed can be one thing one day and something else another day. Its very inconstant.

8. johnwoo

I respectfully disagree with you. I did my speed test with both EPIC and EVO at the same time this morning (may be 2 minutes apart to be exact).

9. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

He was testing them both at the same time...side by side.

My friend bought an Epic and we experienced the same issue...my Hero was consistently getting much higher download speeds than his Epic on 3g while we were standing side by side.

10. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

My Evo is always 2x faster in upload than my Evo. Download speed is about the same. Signal bar Epic is always 1 bar lower. Wifi, Epic is also 1 bar lower. Loading Phandroid.com Epic is 5 seconds behind almost all the time. This is not big issue for me but just wanted to post my findings.

Aero1 likes this.
  11. alex94z

alex94z Active Member

Same here. Co-Worker with an EVO getting about double 3g speeds as me standing right next to me.

12. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Same here. Since Radio Shack refuses to let me exchange my Evo for the Epic, I went to Best Buy and bought the Epic. I got a chance to test them out.

The Evo was just faster in download and upload on 3G and wi-fi. I don't kbnow if it's the hardware or maybe froyo had something to do with it. The signal strength was a bit stronger on the Evo.

I loved my Evo, but the Epic was just better overall. The 3G does bother me a bit but not enough to stop me from taking the Evo back and canceling that line. I hope this gets fixed with froyo, and is not a hardware issue.

13. gtl408

gtl408 Well-Known Member

Funny, I thought this was the thread that I had started. This is definitely a real issue. Even though I have already returned my Epic yesterday, I decided to call Sprint's technical support folks to see if this issue had been reported since I really like the phone minus the GPS issues. From my call, I had learned that they are unaware of the issue, so I made them aware of it. I would encourage you all to do the same so we can light a fire under them to get this addressed. I don't believe this to be a network issue as I had two Evo's and three Epic's running the same speedtest all around the same time and multiple times. For each run, the Epic's were around 100-200 Kbps slower for downloads and roughly 400-600 Kbps slower for uploads. The Epics were constantly under 200 Kbps for uploads. With my own Epic, I drove around running speedtest randomly. I noticed download speeds to fluctuate normally based on location, but uploads were all consistently under 200 Kbps.

14. gtl408

gtl408 Well-Known Member

I hope it's a carrier configuration oversight as the hardware should be more than capable. I had tested a pre-Froyo Evo at my home before and the Epic is definitely slower with upload speeds that seem to be capped at 200 Kbps.

15. sgtmarkins

sgtmarkins Member

Screw U/L, D/L speeds.. My wife has an Evo and I, the Epic.. Her reception, cell and 3g is much higher than mine. Im dropping calls left and right and missing texts..

tigger2u likes this.
  16. Nucleartx

Just spoke to Sprint tech support regarding this 3g issue so they are becoming aware of it. If everybody who has issue calls, they will get it fixed faster. By their guidelines, uploads are supposed to be in the range of 350-500 minimal(Rev.A) so they will open a support ticket for this issue.

17. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned that. When I'm on the road talking to my gf on my Epic, she said I cut in and out plus she cant hear me well (phone on my lap in speakermode). Switch to my Evo and now its way louder (still on my lap) and no sound break up.

I also noticed on my Epic I would sometimes get "Network Issue" popping up on the screen on idle.

18. sgtmarkins

sgtmarkins Member

Ah I went round and round with the network issues.. All my Sprint apps said I had to be a "Sprint customer".. Didnt have a problem with my wifes phone. All reception issues.

19. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

I have 1-3 bars here in my house, with that, I get 120kbs-300kbs. When im out, I get different ranges... Ive gotten 1.5mbps. All this on 3G.

We don't have 4G here yet.

20. gtl408

gtl408 Well-Known Member

In addition to calling Sprint today, I've just finished emailing Chris at Engadget to point him to this issue and these threads in hopes of having him do a piece on it. Maybe you guys should do the same and email him at chris@engadget.com. I think the more attention this has, the faster Sprint and/or Samsung will work on this issue.

21. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member

I'll add a post to here if we're moving to this thread. I also have the same issue. Husband has Evo, I have Epic. I can't make long calls on it because people say I'm breaking up and they can't understand me, or I them. Husband's Evo, no problem. I'm constantly at 0 to 1 bar while he's normally at 3 or 4.

Sprints says we have a tower down here affecting my zip code. This tower has been down a month. Even still, I pull a sad 9.9 kB/s to 30 (on a good day) while he pulls 50 to 80 kB/s. There shouldn't be THAT big of a gap between these phones.

22. sgtmarkins

sgtmarkins Member

This is a love/hate phone..(mostly hate).. so far

23. simcha

simcha Well-Known Member

It all depends on the time of day and the location for me.

At 12:52am on 9/3 I got my best 3g results: 1725kbps download, 147kbps upload

At 2:12am on 9/3 I got my worst 3g results: 229kbps download, 145kbps upload.

All the rest of my results throughout today are between those.

24. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member

LOL at this point, I'd kill for your worse. That is a huge gap though.

25. peaxie

peaxie Member

I just got off the phone with the Sprint Tech and was given directions on how to fix the issue. If you call Sprint, they should provide you with the same instructions. He had me enter ##3282# and then some password and "Restore."

My phone restarted and then re-activated itself. Note: I didn't lose any of my customization/data. Once it did that it Updated the Profile and my download speeds (via Speedtest.net app) are 5x better now.