• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lousy down/up load speed on 3G

I just got off the phone with the Sprint Tech and was given directions on how to fix the issue. If you call Sprint, they should provide you with the same instructions. He had me enter ##3282# and then some password and "Restore."

My phone restarted and then re-activated itself. Note: I didn't lose any of my customization/data. Once it did that it Updated the Profile and my download speeds (via Speedtest.net app) are 5x better now.

Can you give an example of what you were getting before numbers wise and what you are getting now on 3g? Did the tech tell you what the problem was?

Upvote 0
I just tried that and no change.
The tech told me that it wouldnt fix anything.
Im getting 140 kbs upload

I just got off the phone with the Sprint Tech and was given directions on how to fix the issue. If you call Sprint, they should provide you with the same instructions. He had me enter ##3282# and then some password and "Restore."

My phone restarted and then re-activated itself. Note: I didn't lose any of my customization/data. Once it did that it Updated the Profile and my download speeds (via Speedtest.net app) are 5x better now.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, some have said that the speedtest app isnt too reliable. Try the speakeasy.net/speedtest in browser and see if that give any different results.

I'm without phone, so if someone can kindly do it to see if it makes a difference. Unless it's unreliable between phones as in picky with the hardware, it should be all relative if I'm using the same app with the different phones, no?

Upvote 0
I'm without phone, so if someone can kindly do it to see if it makes a difference. Unless it's unreliable between phones as in picky with the hardware, it should be all relative if I'm using the same app with the different phones, no?

One would think so, however when testing speeds with this app on wifi I often get considerable less results compared to the browser version on my pc. The speakeasy one gives much closer results. On 3g it (speedtest.net app) never gives me the right server location either and get dismal results.

I just throw it out there as a possibility that it doesnt play nice with the epics hardware. the only way to be sure is to try other tests in the browser as opposed to an app.

As far as upload speeds I wouldnt worry too much anyway as I can only really see it affecting video chat

Upvote 0
One would think so, however when testing speeds with this app on wifi I often get considerable less results compared to the browser version on my pc. The speakeasy one gives much closer results. On 3g it (speedtest.net app) never gives me the right server location either and get dismal results.

I just throw it out there as a possibility that it doesnt play nice with the epics hardware. the only way to be sure is to try other tests in the browser as opposed to an app.

As far as upload speeds I wouldnt worry too much anyway as I can only really see it affecting video chat

Well, it's hard to get a server location when the GPS sucks on the Epic, but I did manage to get all the Evo's and Epic's at the Sprint store pointed to the same server before testing. So, I would say they were all on even ground.

You would think upload speed isn't important, but given how a lot of folks like to upload photos and videos on social media sites these days, kind of a big deal considering my crap iPhone 3G can out do it on a bad day on the AT&T network.

Reactions: Aero1
Upvote 0
Really? Huh.

Well I just did another test at 3g:
9/3 at 10:01, 1643kbps down, 175kbps up.

Believe it or not that's much faster than my stupid AT&T DSL.

Oh you are doing kbps. Sorry, I thought you were on kB/s. Right now I'm getting 458 kbps and that is like super speedy for me. One of the fastest test i've done, but its like 3am so.. yea, worthless lol. That's roughly 57 kB/s for those curious.

My speed 458 kbps lasted all of a minute. Now its 123 :(

Upvote 0

If you understand what that does you will have to run that reset several times a day. I am usually getting worse download speeds on this 4g handset than on two old WM 3g handsets.

Upvote 0
I think it's a galaxy issue, when i had the captivate the download/upload speed was capped also.

It's not a Galaxy issue. AT&T had deliberately disabled the HSUPA radio on it. The folks at XDA-Dev have flashed the European ROM on it and demonstrated that it was more than capable of >1 Mbps uploads. So far, the only US Galaxy phone that has not been neutered would be T-Mobile's Vibrant, which even includes the FM radio app. Right now, it's unclearif this is an intentional cap by Sprint, but it's definitely a cap of some sort.

Reactions: MykeSorrel
Upvote 0
It pains me but I think this is going to have to go back. I went to my mothers and I couldn't get a signal at all. 0, couldn't make or get phone calls. BUT, you guessed it, I can on Evo. I just don't get it.

I could get the Fascinate, because Verizon has good speeds here. But I want the full speed. I'm starting to think all these Galaxy S phones have a weaker radio. I might have to break out my SideKick and turn it on, on prepaid until something I like comes out.

Upvote 0
It pains me but I think this is going to have to go back. I went to my mothers and I couldn't get a signal at all. 0, couldn't make or get phone calls. BUT, you guessed it, I can on Evo. I just don't get it.

I could get the Fascinate, because Verizon has good speeds here. But I want the full speed. I'm starting to think all these Galaxy S phones have a weaker radio. I might have to break out my SideKick and turn it on, on prepaid until something I like comes out.

Hey Araliss, can you please share what is the build date of your phone and battery. It is posted under the battery I believe. Trying to establish a relationship between the faulty phones and their build date.

Upvote 0
Hey Araliss, can you please share what is the build date of your phone and battery. It is posted under the battery I believe. Trying to establish a relationship between the faulty phones and their build date.

What am I looking for under the battery. I have it out but I don't see a date. On the Battery its 2010.07.26.

Under the battery I see 10.07 which is the only thing that might be a date if its like the numbers above. Let me know if you need more. :)

Upvote 0
What am I looking for under the battery. I have it out but I don't see a date. On the Battery its 2010.07.26.

Under the battery I see 10.07 which is the only thing that might be a day if its like the numbers above. Let me know if you need more. :)

Exactly what I was expecting.. 10.7 means it was made in july. Over at android central forums, we were speculating if build dates have some co relation with the issues. Some people reported that after swapping out device multiple times they eventually got a satisfactory epic, and "satisfactory" epic's build date for all of them is 10.8, meaning august build. Seems like battery/phone made in august have better quality and less issues. I am not saying that all august built phones are free of issues and all july built phones have issues, but so far it does look like august built epics are doing little better.

For other people, would you please share your device's build dates and what kind of issues are you experiencing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones