Love / Hate the Eris... really frustratedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Brozan

Brozan New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I ended up with the Eris after a long fruitless fight to try and exchange it. But it grew on me over the last few weeks andI fell in love with a lot of the apps and various features. Still frustrated that it's a pain in the arse to make a phone call let alone hit touch tones while on a call.

It has really been frustrating not to do things that any sheap piece of crap will do namely download and use custom ring tones. I've tried downloading from numerous sights and even spent money but the phone acts like nothign has been downloaded and they are neverl isted in the list of ring tones. So today while fighting with the company over other crap I asked about it andthe yreferred me to Zedge.net So okay cool go thorugh find a couple I like and all the phone will do is play the files there is no bloody option anywhere I can find to actually download a ringtone to the phone from a website.

Can anyone please help I'm about ready to chuck the htingagainst a wall and be without ap hone for 2 more years.

Advertisement
  2. droid-dohrk

droid-dohrk Well-Known Member

Okay, I just played with zedge.net. If you use the web browser to play ringtones, I can't figure out how to save it either. I closed the browser and started again and went to zedge.net. This time it popped up a notice that said I had a Android phone and asked if I wanted to install the Zedge app. I clicked okay and it opened up Market and downloaded then installed that app. I ran the Zedge app and it asked you to select ringtones or wallpapers. I clicked ringtones, scrolled down to Samsung Tone, clicked the left circle to play it. Then clicked the title Samsung Tone and it opened a new screen. I clicked on Download. When it was done I clicked on Set and chose Default. It set the tone as the new Ringtone. I opened up Astro to find it and it's in /sdcard/zedge/ringtones. If you go to the default Ringtone selector, you'll see it in the list to choose from there as well.

The Zedge app is pretty easy to use. Use the app and not the web browser.

I played with it a few minutes. I thought it was going to be just a lot of 13 year old junk, but they have some nice wallpapers in there.

3. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I think this is in the stickies, so I'm paraphrasing....

Create a folder under Media -> Audio -> called Ringtones.

Put the files there.

THey will show up.

4. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I download a bunch of stuff off of zedge.net (custom ringtones, other ringtones, wallpaper, et al.) Maybe it's just because I'm a little old-school, a little paranoid, or a mix of both, but I download all of the stuff to my PC and then use the data cable to copy it to my phone. That way I have backups of everything I have on my phone in case I lose my phone, destroy it, or turn it into a brick.

5. nonie3234

nonie3234 Well-Known Member

Here's what I do - I get all my ringtones for free from Crackberry: Free Ringtones - CrackBerry.com | CrackBerry.com

When I've gathered all the ringtones I want, I mount the SD card using the USB cable. (Let me know if you don't know how to do that.) Then I copy/paste my new ringtones into a folder on the phone (like Needsdecaf said above.) Eject the phone (careful, follow directions!) then go to your "music" app.

Find the song you want in that app, click on "menu", "Set as Ringtone", then choose contact or phone.

I hope that helps!

6. nonie3234

Here's what I do - I get all my ringtones for free from Crackberry: Free Ringtones - CrackBerry.com | CrackBerry.com

When I've gathered all the ringtones I want, I mount the SD card using the USB cable. (Let me know if you don't know how to do that.) Then I copy/paste my new ringtones into a folder on the phone (like Needsdecaf said above.) Eject the phone (careful, follow directions!) then go to your "music" app.

Find the song you want in that app, click on "menu", "Set as Ringtone", then choose contact or phone.

I hope that helps!

7. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

Just downloaded zedge off the market and it works great. Easy to use and some cool stuff on there.
    OP should try this as it seems to me this is what u were lookin for.

8. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Do you have music on your phone? then just use the ringtone trimmer to make ur own ringtones. Or if you want to set them as notifications download a program called ringdroid and that gives you the option to set them as such. Really easy and straight forward programs to use.

9. Brozan

Brozan New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay the Zedge app helped tremendously thank you!

But as far as creating a folder I know how to make a folder on the home screen but I can't find anyway to see the folder structure so that I can amke a new folder in any specific sub folder. The file system seems completely hidden i don't see any way to access it.

Probably need to hook it up to the laptop but the two devices aren't on speaking terms yet lol. I can't figureo ut what dirvers or software I need as none came with the phone :(

10. nonie3234

You don't need any drivers! This is the beauty of it!

When you are finished, make sure you "safely remove hardware" just like you would any other external drive, then follow the instructions on the Eris Notification Panel to disconnect there, too. Then the SD card will update, and - VOILA!

Here is more discussion of the process here:
    Connecting Eris to PC to transfer files - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Also - check out your local Verizon store, too. I found a really great guy at my local store, very knowledgable and willing to help. I have his email address now, and anytime I get stuck I just email him and get the answer. Try that - you might be pleasantly surprised!