Love or Loyalty?General

Last Updated:

1. obisununome

obisununome Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to sell my G1 this weekend and had two buyers one was a buddy, and the other was a stranger. I couldn't do it despite all my issues with the unit and t-mobile. This is my second one and it's displaying characteristics of just bad hardware. My screen sometimes doesnt respond to touch. I had to shut it off a couple times. I have a warranty, which I would have used if I sold it. But I have been a google user for 7 years now, and I just can't accept that they will allow these defects to go on. I just cant part with it, maybe we all that are loyal to tmobile, will be greatly rewarded with the G2 which will honestly be the best phone, out there. Lets face it, we are missing to many features that should have been added to the device from the factory, with the competition out there.

Advertisement
  2. Paranoid

Paranoid Member

You bought a first generation OS smartphone, and you expect it to immediately be a iPhone killer? The G1 is NOT an iPhone. It's not a Blackberry, and it's not a Palm. It's the newest of the new of smartphone OSes. There are limitations, yes, but this phone has an advantage: anyone can develop for it. Maybe you got a defective model? I don't have any problems with my touchscreen and I haven't had to powercycle it since my contacts-sync debacle.

3. obisununome

obisununome Member This Topic's Starter

lucky you, your one of the few that have not had a problem, I never said it was a killer, if you go over to tmobile forums and read a post I put up you would see, I said that we were test subjects. I know its a first gen smart phone, its a good phone but there were some features that were left out from day one? But hey what do you expect from people who skim read?

4. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

Are there things missing? Sure. There are going to be issues with every type of phone. There will never be a "one size fits all" phone (or computer, tv, etc.). I'm very happy with my G1. I've had some hiccups, but they aren't a big enough problem to even consider changing.

That said, I can see how some issues are deal breakers for others. If it's hardware issues, then hopefully TMO will remedy it for you. If it's software, hopefully some fixes will be released to make it more useful.

5. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

I feel your pain. The G1 has had its fair share of disappointments... but even with its faults, put it up against all other phones on the market and it puts 99.9% of them to shame.

I'm fine with the fact that the G1 doesn't have everything and that things get patched/improved along the way... I think its fun. Afterall, we're the first users EVER to have Android Phones and its almost like raising a pet or something... its some type of unspoken bond of watching the OS "grow up" before your eyes.

In 3 years from now I bet everyone who has a G1 will be bragging about how they had the first Android Phone in the days when it couldn't do this and couldn't do that... you know the old man's, "When I was a kid I walked to school barefoot, uphill in the snow both ways"

For me anyway, its fun to be a part of Android especially considering when the next Android Phone comes out, all the improvements made the G1 won't go to waste. You won't be starting from scratch. Its a cumulative effect.

And that.... THAT I find exciting.

6. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

I couldn't agree more man.... I think of it like owning a model A ford... think how far the car has come since then... I mean having a car back then you must have had issues constantly now look at cars can't even come close to comparing what they were to what they are, and just think being there at the start of it all that must have been something....

7. STORM3333

STORM3333 Well-Known Member

this is an excellent post! Thanks for posting it! I'm with you on being a part of the first! I got my g1 on 10/20 and i've been happy with my phone even with it's flaws....it reminds me of me, not perfect by a long shot but definately good quality and worth betting on!