Love the Droid, but why does Youtube suck?

1. willywonkaisrsh

willywonkaisrsh Active Member

Just got my Droid like 3 weeks ago and loving it. My previous phone was a HTC Imagio running WinMo. That phone was a major POS, but atleast it was able to play Youtube videos.

Whether its playing it through the app or off the website, watching Youtube videos off the Droid is almost impossble. The videos take for ever to load (regardless of wifi or 3g), half the time the video doesnt fill the whole screen, and many times the video just freezes and I get a FC.

So whats up? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is as well as a fix?

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Well, they won't fill the whole screen unless you activate HQ (high quality).

But im sorry, i dont know why its not playing for you. It worked flawless for me when i had the droid1. well, when i was in a low 3g area (my uncle's, lol) it went very slow.
  3. willywonkaisrsh

It is always set to HQ but some videos still dont fill the screen. Over 3g, it is unplayable and over wifi, it will play but still skips most of the time.
  4. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

hmmm... are you rooted?
  5. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

i do have an issue with youtube being slow to initially load but once it gets going I have no issues, even with HQ enabled i still can stream over 3g.
  6. willywonkaisrsh

Yes, I am rooted. It must be something with my phone. Everything is so slow, even the list of videos just keeps saying "Loading" and nothing happens.
  7. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Ever since 2.2 my phone won't play ANY videos on the Youtube app. At all. Period. Wifi or 3g. I'm stock too.
  8. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Are you running a custom ROM? If so, which one?
  9. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member

You guys should try to do a factory reset and see if that works out the bugs for you. My youtube app works flawlessly on my rooted droid.
  10. willywonkaisrsh

No ROM, just a Chevy kernel.
  11. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

HQ will slow down videos sometimes. They should fill your screen, but some videos are edited to have blakc boarders around them, and will contain those whether or not you have it HQ vids. WiFi works perfectly for me, I don't know why they would skip for you on WiFi. It's not perfect over 3G but I wasn't expecting it to be.