Love the Hero, but a couple of gripes

Last Updated:

1. PatBateman

PatBateman Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Firstly, this looks like a great forum and I hope to learn a lot and contribute in the future.

I have a Hero. I love it, but have a couple of questions/annoyances.

1 - the alarm. Does the device have to be switched on for the alarm to work? If so, that's turd. It means I have to leave the 'phone on all night, albeit on silent.

2 - SMS sending from PC. With my previous device, Nokia N96, using PC Suite I could do all sorts of things with the phone over bluetooth/usb. The most useful being the sending/reading of SMS messages. I could leave the phone on the windowsill where I got reception, and text from my laptop. Does anyone know of a way of doing this with Android?

3 - Connecting the Hero to my partners in-car stereo no longer lets me browse the phone book from the head unit, whereas her previous Nokia 6500 classic worked ok. Is this just a limitation of the Bluetooth stack on the Hero. It's a bit poor really, as it's a great feature meaning you can just leave the phone hidden away and dial from the head unit.

Other than that, I'm pretty made up with it!

Cheers for any advice.

Dan

Advertisement
  2. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

1 it's a smartphone, it's fairly common for this type of phone to not switch itself on for alarms. You can put it into 'airplane' mode though, that'll stop emails, texts and calls getting through and disturbing you.

2 & 3 pass.

3. PatBateman

Cheers Wahwah

My N96 is also a 'smart' phone and would wake up to alarm. I guess the Hero must shut everything down completely when powered off, whereas other devices mustn't.

Good tip on the airplane mode, didn't think of that. Thanks.

4. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

Whos your operator, I know T-mob in the UK lets you send texts from their website that are billed to you account.

5. PatBateman

I'm with Orange. The only issue with that service is you probably won't be able to receive texts :(

Thanks though.

6. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

I'm sure I was able to do this before with another HTC phone, let me get back to you.

7. kevinof

kevinof New Member

I think you're mistaken. All S60 handsets have to be on before any alarm will sound. If the OS isn't running then it ain't running.

8. PatBateman

I'm not mistaken, honestly. I've used N95 and N96 for years, and every morning the alarm has woken me up when the phone is switched off. I even used it this week to wake me up for a flight to catch, because I knew it was so reliable. Alarm set, phone switched off.

9. PatBateman

The texting thing? That'd be great if so. Although, maybe it was a Windows Mobile HTC phone and therefore a function of ActiveSync?

10. hondaguy

hondaguy Well-Known Member

Newer s60 devices don't need to be left on for the alarm to work.

I miss the sms via pc functionality you have mentioned. Hopefully someone will make an app for that.

11. PatBateman

I've got a bit of spare time myself, I might have a look at doing it. :eek:

12. dano272

dano272 Member

SMS via PC - works great with google voice. Only in the US at the moment but I would bet elsewhere soon enough.

13. kevinof

kevinof New Member

I stand corrected. You are right and I am very wrong. I just tried this on my E71 and it worked. Had S60's for years and never knew about this feature.

Learn something new every day.

14. PatBateman

No worries. What I thought was initially a real problem is not really, like you said I can just use Airplane mode :) The only snag would be if I didn't have my charger, I'd worry about the Hero running out of battery. But that would be a rarity.

15. topcheffer

topcheffer Active Member

I found this app in another thread here: http://anyclip.blueslabs.com/
    I haven't used it yet, but it may provide some of the functionality you are looking for and it looks to work out of a web browser instead of PC software. Also includes a bunch of other nice features.

Cheers!

16. pinch

pinch New Member

I totally agree, the Nokia pc suite is sweet and it works weary well, without any jerking around.

I replaced my old E71 with the Hero this week, and even thou I love the OS, and the options, I really miss a sync program that actually works well (HTC sync do not work at all for me), and that