Love the phone, a couple issues though =/Support

Last Updated:

1. Bretford

Bretford New Member This Topic's Starter

I have read through some of the troubleshooting posts and they arent quite doing for me, thus my separate post.

1) I am trying to get my captivate to connect to my home wifi and it only connects rarely. When it does connect, it works great! I have played around with it and dont have any idea what to do with it.

2) I really want to connect my phone to my PC (runs XP) and it keeps saying the usb device cant be recognized. I installed a the Sumsung PC Studio 3 & 7, both didnt solve it. I also downloaded a couple of the posted drivers, those did not work either. People have mentioned they get rid of kies, but I have no clue how to do that.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisement
  2. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

Not sure about WiFi but...

To connect to your PC...

On the home screen of your Android tap the settings button (on the lower-left of the device) and choose 'Settings'

On the 'Settings' screen choose 'Applications'

On the 'Applications' screen choose 'USB Settings'

Choose 'Mass Storage'

Your phone will now show up as a Mass Storage device when plugged into the PC.

To actually share files there is another step though...

When plugged into the PC tap the top-most point of the screen (on the homescreen again) and pull down (you'll see a small gray bar - pull the bar down). Tap 'USB connected' then tap the 'Mount' button to allow files to be copied back and forth to your PC.

3. Bretford

Bretford New Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I have done that and my PC still syas it does not recognize it. I dont know if I need to do something with the driver or what, but this kinda sucks =/

4. cmt074

cmt074 Well-Known Member

Hmm strange... I did that and My PC found the device right out of the box (no drivers or anything installed). I'm on Vista 64 bit.

UPDATE: I tried to connect my phone to an XP machine and it didn't work.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

It's possible that all those drivers and such you installed are now the problem.

The Captivate does not need any special drivers installed to simply function in "USB Mass Storage" mode and will appear as a drive letter on your Windows desktop just fine. Tested with many XP and Win7 systems.

It's possible that those having problems have something else on their system which is interfering with USB detection. Since I've seen this with printers, USB flash drives, cameras, etc it's not unheard of.

6. JavaBrewer

JavaBrewer Member

My Captivate did not connect to either my Win7 or Vista (both 32 bit) machines. All attempts using Samsung USB drivers and Kies software resulted in failure. I had the same issue with Samsung Solstice phones (3 of them) carried by my family. This seems to be a manufacturer issue as every other USB device (Apple, thumb drive, printer, camera, etc...) all connect w/o stress.

Since life is too short to have to deal with stuff like this look into swiFTP phone app for media file sharing. Literally took me 3 minutes to install, run, and connect to my phone directly from Windoz (running FileZilla FTP client). Good luck.