Loving the phone - Wifi niggles

Last Updated:

1. germcevoy

germcevoy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After a 6 year love affair with Nokia and Symbian, I bit the bullet and went with the Hero and I can't see myself looking back

Got a bitch of a problem getting hooked up to my wi-fi at home though. I'm using a BT home hub (v2), WEP encryption. The phone detects and connects to the network no problem but will not do anything at all with the connection.

I'm sure I can see the problem but not sure whether a change is needed with the router or with the phone itself. My router is setup to run as a DHCP server as is normal and has an IP range of 192.168.1.xx to 192.168.1.yy but the phone keeps obtaining an IP of 84.164.244.xxx for some reason. That has to be the problem. I have added the Hero's MAC address to the routers device list etc but it keeps hooking up to that sane random IP address. I'm stuck

Thanks for having a look

Advertisement
  2. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I switched from a Nokia N95 to Hero after seeing how the N97 OS didn't look so hot.. totally happy I did :)

As for your problem, couple of questions for you,
    Why use WEP? The thing can be cracked in seconds, I would reconfigure the router to run WPA or WPA2 at least, you can also use a preshared key as well instead of a hex key.

As for the hero getting an IP of 84.x.x.x ... not really sure on that, sounds like your router is bridging the external connection, I take it the IP you stated is your external IP?

As I mentioned I would try switching to WPA first at least and see what happens after that.

3. germcevoy

had it set to run on WEP as my (now ditched) E71 wouldn't do wifi on WPA. Now back on WPA and it's still hooking up to that rogue IP. I have never saw that IP listed anywhere on the router before

4. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is to check the DHCP lease table on the router and see if the hero is listed on there with the IP you are seeing.

5. germcevoy

getting somewhere. On the router tcp/ip settings my Broadband Network IP address is the 86.164 . . . IP address, the same IP the phone is pulling.

What do I need to change then? Getting confusing

6. germcevoy

disconnected then reconnected the router and got a different 84. .. IP. Reconnected the phone and it hooked on to the same IP. On my DHCP table I can see all my devices (including Hero) all connecting to standard 192.168 IP's within the set range, then the Hero is there at the bottom with this 84. . .address.

ISP or HTC?

7. o7who

o7who Active Member

have you tried using a static IP on the phone ?

8. germcevoy

Just tried the phone on 2 other routers and each time the Hero grabs the routers IP address instead of obtaining an IP address leased to it from the DHCP. Not ideal. I'll try a static IP from my home router. If that doesn't work then i'll reinstall the phone software. Then back to manufacturer probably.

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Strange indeed. I'd suggest either a defective handset or something configured oddly on the router, as there's nothing setting-wise to mess up on the Hero itself; you enter the AP's key to connect and DHCP should do the rest.

A couple of questions....

(a) Your DHCP IP pool hasn't been fully used by other devices, has it? That doesn't account for the same behaviour with other routers though. Unless they are also HomeHubs?

(b) You're seeing two entries in the DHCP table for the Hero (identical MAC addresses), one with an internal IP address and another with the external?

10. germcevoy

Hi there Slug. There is only one router in use at home. I tried the other 2 at work. On my own router the Hero shows up ones in the DHCP table with the external IP.

I have since did a hard reset of the device and manually connected to the wifi network with a static IP and entering all the other settings in manually. I am now browsing via wifi. Still not sure if it was the reset or the static IP that did the trick. Afraid to disconnect it to find out.

I'll try the network at work on Monday