"Low disk space" on HTC DesireSupport

Last Updated:

1. erraticheretic

erraticheretic Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Android users,

Anyone figure out a way to move the app installations to your SD card on an HTC Desire with Eclaire (2.1) installed? I'm restlessly waiting for 2.2 to be released by Telus in Canada but don't know when that's gonna be (hopefully sometime this month). As of now, I'm running out of space to install any new apps (especially big ones like, say, ANGRY BIRDS?!). I tried out the trial version and fell in love...and now if I want this app, I have to get rid of a bunch of my useful apps.

So ultimately, my question is (and I might be coming across as a newb here but hey, I just got this phone so give me a break) if there is a way to install my apps directly on the SD card? I know I could root it and install FroYo, but I just paid for a 3 year warranty with Telus that I don't want to void within 20 days of getting the phone.

Any help will be appreciated!! If anyone has any updates on Telus getting the upgrade anytime soon, do let me know!!

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The only options are root or press your provider for the official Froyo update.

3. erraticheretic

erraticheretic Member This Topic's Starter

Funny thing is that I emailed HTC asking them when the upgrade will be released and also mentioned that Telus' website has it listed for October (without a date). As far as I know Telus can't do anything about it until HTC releases the upgrade. This is the response I received. I find it rather disappointing. As much as I hate Apple, they're quick to get their updates available to the customers.

"I can understand the need to keep your Telus Desire by HTC up to date. However, before releasing a ROM update we have to be sure that the software is going to work properly on your hardware and on your carrier’s network. This testing does take some time but will result in an update that is optimized to work on your device, on your carrier’s network. While we want to release software as soon as we can we will only do so once the software has passed our quality standards.

At this time we do not have any information about an update for your device. When the update is released it will be announced on HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs. If you’d like we can also take your information and contact you once an update has been released. However, your device by designed is programmed to check the server every 14 days for software updates automatically."

4. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

If you have low disk space, trying holding your phone above your head. Then your disk space will be higher.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

As eluded to earlier, you can't do anything with 2.1 unless you are rooted.

6. Graboid

Graboid Active Member

You can clear some space on your phone's internal memory by going through your apps and clearing their caches. Internet will be eating some memory as will your e-mail program and others like maps, etc.