Low DL Speeds, Increased UL Speeds after DI18 Update...

Last Updated:

1. jerbeck24

jerbeck24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ever since I downloaded the new update (DI18) this morning, I cannot get good download speeds, but my upload speeds have greatly increased. Any ideas? Here is some proof...If someone could give me a clue of what the problem could be, that would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

wow, that's funky. was this OTA or XDA? have you tried resetting the phone?

3. jerbeck24

It was OTA. Got it this morning. I have turned it off and back on since, still the same results.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Just got 786/299, but mine was "slow"earlier in the day.

5. jerbeck24

Mine is consistent though, upload speeds are always higher than download. I was getting download speeds much higher before the update...

*Top three were right after I updated to DI18:

[​IMG]

6. Adlebo

Adlebo Well-Known Member

I'm having the same issue after an OTA update. My DL speed is significantly lower than my UL speed. What's going on??

7. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member

After update and on 3G, I just got 1660 DL but, only 358 UL. The upload test sort of froze up on me.
    [​IMG]

8. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

Did you try to change to different servers on the speedtest app?

9. jerbeck24

I did try that...seems I'm only having the problem at my house. Should I consider getting an airave? At work, I'm getting great download and upload speeds since the update.

10. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

agree, i selected a different server and the download speed is improved. that server must be getting overloaded or something.

11. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Speedtest is saying I'm like 50 miles from the servie in Philly - should be less than 20.

12. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I'm in bryn mawr and it's telling me I'm 41 miles from the Philly server and Sayerville's in only an extra 5 miles or so away. Something is buggy now because i'm getting crap upload and download speeds, but I normally get about 1300/600 give or take. So maybe there's just something funky with Sprint right now.

13. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Hey Neighbor - I work in Plymouth Meeting, and live in KofP!! If you see things return to "normal", let me know.

14. dbpaddler

Will do. Just downloaded Speedtest after doing the update and was getting those high numbers all around for a bit. That's why I was thinking it was a glitch. Have to head to the KofP store and get my old Evo back. I actually screwed it up in the rooting process and it wouldn't take any updates by me or Sprint. So I managed to get the stock rom back on and now they're sending me a new one. :)

15. shaundizzle

shaundizzle Member

wow man i just updated with a rooted phone by using firions update over at xda and my scores are through the roof... constantly over 1300 kbps download and anywhere from 250-500 or more upload.

cant stop testing it after this update.
    im pretty stoked.

did anyone lose their vanilla android lockscreen?

cuz i did

16. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Airave is Only for voice not data.

17. dbpaddler

Why would someone go through an airrave that connects to your internet conncection to try and connect through sprint's data connection. That really doesn't make any sense when you would just turn on wifi and go direct.

18. Brian2071

Brian2071 Well-Known Member

The new Airave 3G does voice and data. I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago. I had no coverage inside my home prior to this.

19. Brian2071

Brian2071 Well-Known Member

The only reason I can think of is that some people may have an internet connection without WiFi hooked up. I know we have internet at work but no WiFi so an Airave would work in that situation. At home I have an Airave, but like you said it is only for voice because my WiFi connection is so much faster.

20. bellyslap

bellyslap New Member

I am also getting slower 3G speeds overall. Prior to the update, my phone was getting 1500kbps download, 400kbps. After the update, it is around 800kbps download, 150 kbps upload.

Very frustrating. I am still within the 30 day return period, and am thinking of switching to T-mobile's G2.

21. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

The only reason I can think of is if they would want to use Sprint TV or something that won't work on WIFI. Besides, Like I said, the airave is for only voice signal enhancement anyhow.
    @ Brian--Guess I'm gonna have to get ahold of Sprint to see if they will upgrade my free device.

22. dbpaddler

If voice is fine and data is slow though, I doubt they are comping you on airrave service. Especially when you can buy a wireless router for $20 and get better performance at home plus you're connected to your home network if you do anything connected like the tivo remote or streaming media from the computer or nas drive.

Just don't understand why someone wouldn't buy a wireless router and solve the problem instead of bottleneck your connection by going through an airrave.

And that would be a lot of effort and expense for sprint tv.though from a user point of view, no sprint tv over wifi seems kinda dumb. One less person eating bandwidth and there'd be better performance over wifi.

23. jerbeck24

I actually am getting the AiRave for free from Sprint more for my voice than anything. I barely get a signal in my basement and only 2-3 bars of service upstairs when it's supposed to be "excellent" coverage based on their maps. If for some reason I wanted to use my data connection without wifi, at least I'll be able to with it. I was told by the Sprint representative that it would help for both voice and data, but like you said, I'd be much better off using wifi for data.

24. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

What? Really? I called last week and they told me Free airave program was discontinued... I get 0 bars at my house, force roam. When did u call?

25. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

Did you try speaking to retentions and threaten to cancel?