Low in-call volume fixedTips

1. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Well I have been suffering with low in-call volume for a while now. This problem seemed to exist for me since the last ICS update. I was hoping JB may have fixed it but it didn't.

I tried volume + and many of the other potential fixes. Nothing seemed to help. I was thinking of getting rode of the One X. Then I recalled reading a post on here or over on XDA, can't remember, about cleaning the tiny speaker grill holes with a soft tooth brush. At the time thought, nah! My phone is really clean, if those holes where clogged I would be able to see it. So I dismissed that idea out right.

So here I was weeks later and the volume is no better. If I'm in a quiet room its manageable but any ambient noise at all and hearing the caller was a real struggle.

Last night I was browsing the forums to see if there had been any fixes for the low volume lately. Nothing, so I thought I had nothing to lose and got a soft toothbrush and gently scrubbed over the speaker holes. I wasn't expecting any difference because they looked perfectly clean to me.

WoW! What a difference. I can't believe how much difference that has really made. I have now uninstalled the volume + and have had to turn down the volume.

So to the guy who first suggested this fix, I apologise for dismissing the idea all those weeks ago and thanks to you I'm no longer thinking of getting rid of my trusty One X.

Advertisement
    :
    lpchester7, 4fingus, shiner01 and 5 others like this.
  2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

Thanks for letting us know, Dave! I am gonna do this to mine just to see if it'll clean it up a little, even though my volume isn't bad. It'll be a good thing to know to recommend to people.

EDIT: I just did this out of curiosity. I used the toothbrush for close to 5 minutes before everything came out, both on the headset part and the speaker holes in the back. My notification light is about 3 times brighter now. I'm pretty sure it'll actually be visible in sunlight. It's great. Thanks for the recommendation.
  3. Nemesco

Nemesco New Member

This fixed my volume issue too, great!
    GuitarG20 likes this.
  4. thereissiva

thereissiva New Member

Really Amazing!!!! Thanks a loads for this post. I was having the hearing volume issue, and was thinking to get rid off this phone. But i just bumped in to your post and the tooth brush trick worked!!!!
    You saved me a lot of money!!

Cheers!!
    GuitarG20 likes this.
  5. delboy89

delboy89 New Member

Just tryed this tip there just now , all I need to say is WOW , I can actually hear my phone calls now . Very useful just saved me a load of ££ there as I was about to go and get it done till I done it
  6. imrandoa

imrandoa New Member

:D The toothbrush Worked fine on Htc rather then my teeth
    :confused:
  7. SouthofOttawa

SouthofOttawa Well-Known Member

This worked wonders for me as well!! Volume went way up for calls and music and the green notification light is really bright now. I can't believe how much doing this changed my experience on the phone!
  8. maroofh

maroofh New Member

Thank you so much for this help, I've been having this problem for months and couldn't find any solutions on-line until i came across this. The tooth brush didn't appear to be doing much for me, so I flicked out the dirt of the speaker grill using a sharp needle.

I've taken before and after pictures for comparison, it made me realise just how blocked they were before. Even though it's not 100% clear, it's still a vast improvement in sound compared to before.
    Link to photos: imgur.com/a/vM1M5#0
  9. 4fingus

4fingus New Member

I too was having a real issue with low volume on my HTC One X. This was both front a back speakers and was getting to the point I couldn't use it. :mad:

Tried the toothbrush but it didn't help so I took to it with the back of a pin badge and the difference is shamazing! I wiggled the sharp end in each and every little hole. At first I was worried it might damage it but it didn't. It's like a new phone and at last I can hear the directions from the sat nav man and no more asking my firends to repeat them selves if there's a slight wind! :)
  10. thevix85

thevix85 New Member

Very helpfull advice... after cleaning the holes volume increase more then 50%. Thank u
  11. lpchester7

lpchester7 New Member

MI just cant believe that a spare brush that was lying in a corner of my bathroom made this happen. Even I saw that post on XDA but thought of it as a waste. How wrong was I. Lately the low sound was just unbearable. And once again i googled abt the problem. And found this post. M so excited now that both my call volume & speaker volume has increased. Like a FRESH now.. Thanxxx a lot for posting this DAVE.. LONG LIVE DAVE.. ;)
  12. HardCoil

HardCoil Member

This is ridiculous. I spent a lot of time rebooting, installing volume managers and fiddling with options, and all I needed was a toothbrush!?!
    Thank you so much for this post!
  13. krrrajah

krrrajah New Member

Hi Dave darling.. hehe.. your awesome tips saved me a lot of time and money.. thank you very much.. my hox+ sounds like new..