Low on funds: warranty worth it?

Last Updated:

1. masse

masse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is anyone getting the insurance? I honestly hadn't considered it until I went to the store today.

What does everyone think about it? could my $72 ($6/mo/1yr) be spent a better way (accessory and/or 32gb card)?

Advertisement
  2. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

I don't know how clumsy or prone to lose things are you.

3. nlsme

nlsme Well-Known Member

IRC the X is more like 9 bucks a month for ins.

4. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

Assuming I get one on launch, I'm probably going to fork out the extra cash to protect it. I've used insurance in the past on a phone, and when the $h!t hits the fan, its a good feeling knowing that you can get a new phone for $50 instead of being dead in the water. Especially with a phone like the X ( ~ $600 retail?).

But that's just my .02

5. Birdman2004

wow didn't know that :eek:

6. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

verizon uses assurion 7 bucks a month 100 bucks deductible.
    i work for there competitor we charge the same for insurance. will DEFINITELY get it. i hear stories all day (and have for 10 years) about what can happen to phones.

7. Birdman2004

I have the LG Dare right now, and I was paying $5/month and then paid $50 for a new phone. (water damage)

Could the rate be different depending on the type of phone?

8. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

I think insurance is $7.99/month. I'm getting it. I didn't have insurance on my Eris and regretted it.

9. Flying_Hellfish

Flying_Hellfish Well-Known Member

I will be spending the monthly cash on it to make sure I can get it replaced if things go wrong.

10. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

Never have, never will, never effed up my phone...*knocks on wood*

11. Birdman2004

• Phones**
      • $4.49 per month per covered phone.
      • $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
      • Equipment maximum limit: $250 per completed claim.
    • Advanced Devices**
      • $6.00 per month per covered device.
      • $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
      • Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.
    just pulled this from the Verizon website. They also have something called total equipment coverage.

• Phones**
      • $5.99 per month per covered phone.
      • $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    • Advanced Devices**
      • $7.99 per month per covered device.
      • $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.

So I would guess that the X would fall under the "Advanced Devices"?

If so, $6/month insurance and ~$90 for a new phone.

12. shadowangel

shadowangel Well-Known Member

Never worth the money until you destroy your $600 phone on accident. Then it's worth every penny!

13. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

So true.:D

14. vintagewalrus

vintagewalrus Active Member

That is the way I read it as well.
    IIRC that is what we need. Don't let them sell you on the more expensive plan as it only adds on an extended two year warranty. There is a one year warranty out the door so it is a waste. Correct?

15. you2

you2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't home owners cover phones ?

16. nlsme

nlsme Well-Known Member

Homeowners will cover phones, after the $500/$1000 deductable.

17. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I usually tack on a warranty for at least one year on all and any phones I purchase. Besides, you won't have to pay for the warranty up-front, just have it tacked onto the plan (which from the past seems to be the only way VZW has done this for me).

18. Birdman2004

That's how I feel about it. Just get the cheapest insurance plan available for the phone and you are covered if anything happens.

i.e. $6/month and then pay $90 when you drop your X in a cup of beer. Cause we all know that it will be the life of any party :D

19. gibbga

gibbga Well-Known Member

I've never been one to upgrade phones frequently. For example, my current phone is 4 yrs old, but it is still kicking along pretty well. I'm curious if it makes sense to grab the insurance for the 1st year, then drop it. Cause then wouldn't they make you eligible for an upgrade? I'm not really clear on how the 1 year upgrade thing works, is where I'm coming from, I guess. So, would having insurance for 1 year, then upgrade if your phone dies be a possibility? Do you get the discounted price after the 1 year is up?

20. Birdman2004

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense. I'm not quite sure how the once a year upgrade thing works either. But that idea sounds cool

21. SuperW2

SuperW2 Well-Known Member

No experience with Verizon or their warranty carrier, but I purchased a Squaretrade warranty on my iPhone 3GS, shattered the screen @ about 4 months new and it was replaced within 2 days via mail-in, no deductible. I had to pay up-front vs. monthly, but it was worth every penny (it was only about $5/mth for 24 months)... When I get my D-X later this week, I will for sure get some type of warranty.

A few years ago, I had a Blackberrry Curve get dunked and had to pay full retail ($450) to get it replaced, and learned my lesson.

22. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about Squaretrade, but from what I remember of another thread in this forum that someone started regarding their policy, that they will not cover lost or stolen devices, any truth to this?

23. SuperW2

SuperW2 Well-Known Member

Not 100%, but I think that's a maybe on not covering lost/stolen... I was more concerned about breakage, but I will check that out before I make a decision on the D-X

24. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

My former boss was very tough on equipment ( as well as people ) and I would always get her insurance on every piece of equipment.

She has dropped her phone numerous times (including in the toilet). I've had no problem getting verizon or asurion to send replacements. They've always sent a brand new phone either overnight or via 2nd day. For situations where they could not overnight, they always had me go to the local verizon store, purchase a phone a full retail so the boss would have a phone to use, then when the insurance replacement arrived, take the purchased phone back to the store for a full refund. (this was their idea).

It used to be $4.99 a month with a $50 deductible. it changed late last year to $7.99/month with an $89 deductible. but for her it is worth it.

I had insurance on my line for 7 years without ever needing to file a claim. Last year when I got my droid, I decided to not get insurance, a few weeks later, my 2 year old drops my droid from about 3 to 4ft high onto concrete floor. It got banged up pretty badly but still works (for the most part, occasional freeze, not sure if it is due to damage from being dropped or software issues)

when I get my X in a couple of days, I'm going to have them add the insurance back onto my line. My 2 year old loves to watch you tube videos and other movies I rip from his cartoon DVDs on my phone. It allows us to have a nice quiet dinner when we dine out.

25. bc6droid

bc6droid Active Member

Before they ship my phone out to me Im going to make sure that it has insurance. With an X you can never be too safe.