Low on memory notification - despite moving all apps to SD

Last Updated:

1. elbraddo

elbraddo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Running Froyo on my Desire. Have forced almost all my app's onto SD, apart from ones that run in background and update data.

Still getting the annoying "low on memory" notification.

Q. Is there a way to see exactly what applications are taking up the available memory space?

Advertisement
  2. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

Go Menu -> Settings -> Programs -> Administrate -> All programs -> Menu -> Sort by size

This should give an indication of the most space taking applications.

3. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Menu > Sort by size.

Go to the top of the list and open each item. Clear any Cache data. From here, you can also uninstall any apps that you don't use, but ONLY uninstall apps that you have added yourself.

4. elbraddo

yeah of course I've done that. I don't just want to see the apps ordered by size. I want to see what exactly is using up the feeble 120ish MB of internal memory that the Desire offers.

FYI - my largest app's

Touchdown - 15.32MB
    Google Maps - 8.54MB
    Dolphin Browser HD 7.74MB
    Facebook 7.48MB
    Handcent 3.08 MB
    SPB TV 2.38MB

5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

The Android system uses a lot of the memory I believe - did a factory reset 2 weeks ago and after the reset, before I added any apps, the phone had used nearly 70mb of 147mb. All my apps are back and internal memory fluctuates between about 120mb to 135mb depending on how much Cache data the apps are storing, and what apps I've downloaded/uninstalled. So, I guess on my phone my apps normally use about 60mb of internal storage, which suggests that the Android system is using the rest.

6. elbraddo

Ok cool thanks man. It's a major downside to the Desire when compared to iphone IMO.

I've had my Desire for almost 8 weeks now. Really happy with it, and was looking forward to Froyo as I envisioned it solving the small internal memory problem. Was wishful thinking, I now realise.