• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Low On Memory Space

neontigress

Lurker
Sep 25, 2011
I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail. It is my first android. Recently it has been stating that it is "Low On Memory Space".

I have deleted all photos, videos, emptied the browsers history and cashe, unloaded a few apps that were unneeded but still the problem persists. I have re-booted (turned the phone on and off after the changes). I emptied out my text and I cannot get text now I'm told since it is too low on memory.

Any suggestions? I really have no idea. Thank in advance for any help.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail. It is my first android. Recently it has been stating that it is "Low On Memory Space".

I have deleted all photos, videos, emptied the browsers history and cashe, unloaded a few apps that were unneeded but still the problem persists. I have re-booted (turned the phone on and off after the changes). I emptied out my text and I cannot get text now I'm told since it is too low on memory.

Any suggestions? I really have no idea. Thank in advance for any help.

Do A Factory Wipe... that will free space...

Check This Post

Upvote 0
I have the same phone and would not wipe all data from my phone and besides you cant delete the apps that came with the phone. I have like 4 apps I moved them all to my memory card but for some reason it they still take up some phone memory. My suggestion is to delete the apps that you dont really need. For example I have downloaded Pandora, Myxer, Youtube, and the FB app. The youtube and facebook app I could probably get rid of and just got straight to the sites using the browser. Sad I know but what can we do now... I have already bout a 4G memory card but I can only move the apps that I have downloaded there and it barely free's up space.
Any additional ideas that do not involve me deleting MY personalization (no it's not a word but it fits) of the phone would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: neontigress
Upvote 0
I have the same phone and would not wipe all data from my phone and besides you cant delete the apps that came with the phone. I have like 4 apps I moved them all to my memory card but for some reason it they still take up some phone memory. My suggestion is to delete the apps that you dont really need. For example I have downloaded Pandora, Myxer, Youtube, and the FB app. The youtube and facebook app I could probably get rid of and just got straight to the sites using the browser. Sad I know but what can we do now... I have already bout a 4G memory card but I can only move the apps that I have downloaded there and it barely free's up space.
Any additional ideas that do not involve me deleting MY personalization (no it's not a word but it fits) of the phone would be greatly appreciated.

well as for those additional ideas you should read up the rest of this forum , you can after rooting delete the apps that come on the phone, and with link2sd or app2sd move much more off to your SD card. Everything you need to accomplish this is posted here in the threads

Reactions: neontigress
Upvote 0
I was getting the same Low on storage space message. I noticed earlier in the day that two apps automatically updated. They were apps I never even heard of. One was Ubersocial and the other was Layer. I uninstalled the updates for those two and I deleted Iheart Radio and Zillow apps and the message went away.

I wasn't able to received text messages either and now I can. At first when it said my texts were rejected I deleted all my texts and it still said the same thing. What I did above was the only thing that worked.

Why would these two apps I have never heard of be automatically updated?

Upvote 0
I was getting the same Low on storage space message. I noticed earlier in the day that two apps automatically updated. They were apps I never even heard of. One was Ubersocial and the other was Layer. I uninstalled the updates for those two and I deleted Iheart Radio and Zillow apps and the message went away.

I wasn't able to received text messages either and now I can. At first when it said my texts were rejected I deleted all my texts and it still said the same thing. What I did above was the only thing that worked.

Why would these two apps I have never heard of be automatically updated?
They are bloatware that was preloaded on the phone, they are located in the system folder and are untouchable until you root the phone. However when the system app updates, (market, maps, and all the rest) those updates are put into the user available space. One of the main reasons rooting is such a great Idea you can change and fix some of those (oversights) the carrier pushes on us.
And if you use dark tremor a2sd you will be able have all the apps you could dream of on your phone and not worry about it.

Upvote 0
Nooooooooooooooooo dont delete anything. by low memory space i think it means memory on apps that are running/tasks (system memory). just download an app called android booster. all you do is open it up and press the optimize button and it will clear memory. or you can stop apps from the task manager or go to settings>applications>running services>and click the tasks you want to stop. i was having the same problem and i deleted a few apps and rebooted my phone and it was still the same. so i decided to use android booster which i already had downloaded and it fixed the problem.

Upvote 0
Same phone, same problem. I don't root, b/c I'm just unlucky enough to screw it up.
Google Maps is going to automatically update, too.
You have to uninstall the updates, then you can go to the market, and uncheck 'automatically update' from each of those three apps. The problem is, any time you restart the phone, the market starts over, and so do the updates - so you have to do this every week or so.
I also use Apps2SD and Astro File Manager. Apps lets you clear the cache more easily, and move any available apps to the SD card more easily.
Astro was huge for me - apps you downloaded, but don't use all the time, you can backup to the sd card, then delete them from the phone. Just reinstall from Astro when you want to use them.
All this until I find a foolproof root, or get the Transform Ultra.

Upvote 0
Hi all.. all replies are true.. in this case the phone does not know which type of memory.. it only alerts on low memory space..
By going to Settings -> Applications -> Running Services and forcing apps to stop you will free up RAM memory.
By going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications and uninstalling apps, you will gain ROM memory. Also note some apps can be moved to the SD card by clicking on them and selecting "Move to SD".
By going to the Android store "Google Play" :eek:.. head to your installed apps. Uncheck the box that says, "Automatic update". Do that for the apps that you specially don't want/like.. Example: search "Layer" -> Uncheck "Allow automatic updating"
All set to live another day.. if the battery lasts.. in which case disable GPS.

Upvote 0
2 of the biggest memory hogs are the dialer storage and contacts storage.
Dialer storage is basically your call log
Contacts Storage is your text and picture messages. The messages take up ridiculous memory. Save the pics and dialed phone numbers you want and clear both of those. It will probably get you close to 30 MB if you've never done it. You can also get cache cleaners from play store.

Upvote 0
I fized it after much searching through the "ALL" section under "MANAGE APPLICATIONS" and the cause is applications that are not movable to the SD Card and update on there own. I notice the new "GOOGLE PLAY" automatically updates and adds a 10mb useless thing called "GOOGLE SERVICES" on the Galaxy Prevail which doesnt even have 1g internal its a big deal. I had to completely uninstall the "GOOGLE PLAY" crap and i mean that because i havent been able to fix this for over a month which means almost zero text except the one saying its been rejected. I love the Galaxy Prevail, its super light, the loudest on board speaker ive heard in a while, and %90 of the time it runs fast and its not even rooted. =) Oh yeah thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help, it made troubleshooting this problem much easier. Thank you

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup is what I use to remove apps. It also allows the data from the app to be removed before the app is deleted.

It's also good for many other things. I use it to restore my apps, minus data of course, when switching ROMs. The option to freeze apps is also nice. Titanium is a great app to have on hand. I liked it so much I purchased the pro key for it. :D:thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones