low on memory?

Last Updated:

1. DatkidPudge

DatkidPudge New Member This Topic's Starter

i got a replacement phone and already it says im low on memory.. and i even had to delete texts...

whats the deal? is it my apps? i dont have that many. =/

Advertisement
  2. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a problem. You might want to factory reset. I have over 100 apps installed all on phone storage and i still have ample space. Apps don't really take up that much space because they are all, for the most part, quite small files. And texts are not saved in the same space as apps so that wouldn't be your problem. I would def try factory resetting

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I have over 170 apps total installed, with 140+ in phone memory.

Take out 15 of those as being very small plugins for Locale and you still have 125+ apps installed in phone memory and I don't get low mem warnings....

Give Shizzy's advice a shot.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Could be data, cache, etc for one or more of your apps. Number of apps by itself doesn't mean anything.

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

how much is "ample" internal memory.

I keep things clean, I have all apps that can be on the SD card on the card and I have 82.6mb of memory available. Is this considered "ample". I don't get any low memory errors, just curious how people are deciding what is ample and what is not.

6. shizzy1427

I have 49.9 mb still available and i'm not worried about it, so you're fine lol. I also dont have any apps moved to my sd card because i never felt like partitioning it to do Apps2sd

7. Lock-N-Load

BTW, I never "partitioned it to do Apps2sd"

I just went into settings > apps > manage apps > "on SD card" tab to see what I put on the SD card and to get them on the SD card I just, under the "downloaded" tab in that interface clicked one an app and clicked "move to SD card"

now, doing this did free up space on my internal memory as I went from like 76 to 82mb.

So not sure what this "partitioning" is all about and maybe it is because I am rooted?

8. shizzy1427

Oh i'm rooted too. Maybe i'm wrong, but i thought you had to partition the sdcard to move apps to sd. My mistake ;)

9. thegadgetguroo

thegadgetguroo Well-Known Member

Might I suggest you also check the cache files on your apps. Over time these files can also eat up memory. Quick Clean Cache Files is great for helping to eliminate cache files. Will work on rooted and unrooted phones. Also some apps are pretty large like Slacker, Shazam, Handscent SMS, Documents To Go, etc. Sometimes it is a good idea to install App Remover or something similar to see what apps you actually still use and maybe eliminate some.

10. Lock-N-Load

yep, I ditch apps and I clear caches. I do both manually versus something like Quick Clean Cache which can do it all in 1 pass

I have often wondered if those are worth it. I mean, some caches you might want to keep and some ditch, can you set that up in the app?