1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

"Low on space" phone/application storage notificationSupport

1. CFD323

CFD323 Well-Known Member

Why am I getting this notification?

Internal phone storage shows:
    Total space: 6.60GB
    Available space: 6.43GB

Phone Memory shows:
    Total space: 748MB
    Available space: 689MB

This doesn't seem low to me. What am I not understanding here?

I'm kind of confused as to what each memory storage location means? It's like there's 2 different locations of where things are stored then right? I know apps can't go into the "Internal phone storage" so they obviously go into the "Phone memory".
    When I hook my phone to my PC, I created a few folders called "ringtones", "wallpapers", & "caller IDs". Are these counting towards the available space in the "Internal phone memory" or in the "Phone memory" location?

I did download Astro File Manager and when I opened it I can't find any of these folders I created, or any picture files from the camera pics I've taken. Where are these located?

Thanks

EDIT: The title line is supposed to say I have 689MB left...

----------------------------

Here is a post in this thread that may be of help to others. its post #573
    http://androidforums.com/2712072-post573.html

Advertisement
    :
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

i had seen this bug a couple of times when updating apps when i was using my droid. the solution was to uninstall and reinstall the app.
  3. CFD323

CFD323 Well-Known Member

I haven't downloaded any apps recently?

I did go into my pop mail inbox and found I had 400+ emails in the trash folder so I deleted them, and the low on space notif. went away. But the weird thing was that there was no difference in either the "Internal phone storage" or "Phone memory" locations.
  4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

To clarify your your problem with the different storages:

The "Internal Phone Storage" is like the phones hard drive. This is where data such as music, audio recordings, pictures, etc can be stored and is "non-Volatile" ( Meaning turning your phone off you will not lose anything here." NOTE: There has been issues with things recognizing and using this Internal Storage. I don't know enough about these issues so I won't comment on them.

The "Phone Memory" is your ROM ( Which stands for Read Only Memory - Though it has been writeable for years. ) Typically the actual system files and program executables will reside here, while program data and information can potentially be stored on the Phone Storage.

As for the actual problem, it sounds like having the emails in the trash just glitched something out. Unless you had massive attachments all over the place in those emails, you shouldn't have ran out of memory or storage from them, but the large number could have caused problems.
  5. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

That would help the OP if only it were true. In phones, the RO part of ROM is loose, and it can be written to. On the Inc, it is the boot drive. That is the 700 some MB you see. The 6.x GB is onboard non volatile memory. It is like a second hard drive. You cannot really put programs there (they install on the boot drive usually), although if they are programed correctly the programs can store information on this drive.

I cannot help you with the warning, but I felt the need to stop misinformation from propagating.

-Nkk
  6. zemerick

Woops. That's what I get for posting on boards after 3am:) I totally spaced the ROM and I should know better.

( For a close example of ROM from a computer look at your BIOS. Which is typically a flash eeprom. However, portable elctronics tend to use ROM a lot heavier than your computer as they don't have to be as easily re-written and adaptable. )
  7. CFD323

CFD323 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the help...now my other question....

I downloaded Astro File Manager and when I opened it I can't find any of the folders I created (I created "ringtones", "caller IDs" etc), or any picture files from the camera pics I've taken. Where are these located?
  8. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

It's cool. :) Trust me, I read over my response double and triple checking to make sure I was still correct at 3 am

-Nkk
  9. zemerick

Where did you create them at? If it was on the sdcard, then in Astro from the top level folder you should see one listed as "sdcard" just open that one up.

Been awhile since I've used a *nix system, so I forget where the main folder for that is located and will let someone else answer:)
  10. johnny5gti

johnny5gti New Member

Hi guys. I have checked all the low on space threads and i feel like mines is definitely an odd ball
    When i click on the notification it sends me to my Manage Apps menu. The Manage Apps menu kind of freezes and all the apps show but the disk space says "computing..." and doesn't change

This is the current amount of space I have in my phone.

SD card - Total space = 7.42GB / Avail. space = 7.05gb
    Internal phone storage - Total space = 6.6gb / Avail. space = 6.53gb
    Phone memory - Total space = 748MB / Avail space = 696MB

I have tried clearing the internet cache and etc..still to no avail. the phone seems to be functioning fine except for the notification that bugs me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  11. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

if you are using HTC Mail, check the data used by Mail. Settings->Applications->Mail and then look at the data.

don't have a solution on how to prune that data. stock android and HTC mail on Eris has a clear data button which is missing in the incredible. of course clear data clears out the account info as well.

see this thread in the Desire Forum:

HTC Mail
  12. johnny5gti

johnny5gti New Member

I am not using HTC mail. deng looks like ill have to do a reset and lose my contacts :(
  13. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

no don't do that (reset).

go through Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and sort by size. then plot your next move.
  14. twoowheeler

twoowheeler New Member

johnny5gti, same issues on my incredible....:confused:
  15. johnny5gti

johnny5gti New Member

16. Ray3rd

Ray3rd Active Member

I got a notification that says I'm getting low on space. "Phone storage space is getting low." Huh ? I go into settings / SD card & phone storage and I get ---Internal phone storage Total space 6.60GB. Available space 6.44GB. Total space 748MB and Available space 672MB. How can I be getting low ?
  17. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Just turn your phone off / back on and move on, just a fluke..
  18. Ray3rd

Ray3rd Active Member

Tried that. Even took the battery out. Still there.
  19. Sorbert

Sorbert Well-Known Member

do you have and sd card in if not might be an app looking for it or something like that
  20. Ray3rd

Ray3rd Active Member

Yes I have a Sandisk 4gb sd card in.

And now I'm getting another message.

Not enough storage space for SMS/MMS !
  21. necosino

What did you do to your incredible? :p

Ok, here's another option: Connect to a PC, set Disk Drive mode, wait about 45 seconds, switch back to Charge Only and see what it says then. :)
    Ray3rd likes this.
  22. Ray3rd

Ray3rd Active Member

Didnt change. Also on the sd card, I have 3.48Gb free
  23. necosino

Ok, try installing System Panel. Then look at the running apps and see if there is one in particular using a ridiculous amount of memory.
  24. carlbettag

carlbettag Member

I had this problem.

I tried to install Swype, but did it incorrectly. I downloaded it, and installed it, but did not use a file manager (like Astro) etc etc. Basically, I made a mistake & installed it improperly. It did not work.

However, after this blown install, I kept getting 'out of space' errors. Phone worked fine, but kept getting errors. My theory is that somehow I corrupted the phone application memory space or something along those lines.

Solution: Factory reset, reinstall apps, email, etc etc. Fixed problem.

Not the best way probably, but did the trick. Good luck
    Ray3rd likes this.
  25. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Might also be a corrupted FAT table on the SD card. Try connecting to your computer and format the SD card. You could do it on the phone, but if that's what corrupted the card, it may not help. I'd do it on the PC.

The phone checks the SD card and the system memory at startup so if the file table of the card is corrupted, it could be causing errors.