• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Low on space" phone/application storage notification

I have 316mb of apps installed (over one hundred) and 432mb free with zero problems. Due to the way the Inc is mapped, you should have no problems, even if down to a few megs. The reason is the OS and stock apps are installed on the 512mb rom and nothing else. All third party apps are on the 748mb of allocated flash space- hence the reason only 6.6gb of space is free for the "8gb" built in ;)

Seems you have corrupted flash memory, either due to hardware failure or a rogue app. Only practical option (if you still have the problem) is a system restore. This will put the device "as new". Any problem after that means hardware failure of the 748mb flash storage allocation.

Upvote 0
I have seen this on several INC's and it had to do with the HTC mail app. An ordinary size for it in the managed programs was 1-3mb. On all the ones with it getting the low memory msg it was up to 100+MB on the HTC mail app. Deleted all the mail accounts and battery pull didnt work. Factory wipe and fixed the issue. The people also had some different settings in there for the mail accounts...they were using their own incoming mail server settings but using gmail settings for the outgoing.

not sure what the HTC mail program is doing there, maybe keeping a hidden list of msgs to reconcile new from old.

Upvote 0
I've not had this problem but I can say that I did try out the HTC mail app last week. Since then I have noticed that by the end of the day, if you go to Settings>Applications>Running Services that by the end of the day I'm only showing 50MB or less in Available.

Don't know if this is normal or related, but I don't recall seeing this issue before I tried out the HTC mail app. But again, no low memory errors so hopefully won't have to do a factory reset.

Upvote 0
I've never launched the HTC Mail app and my free memory is always around 30MB. That means nothing since the rest is not in use, it's either in use or cached. When an app needs memory, Android will give it. It's a very generous OS :)

Thanks for telling me that. I'm new to Android and not sure how the OS runs. I start the day off and it lists probably over 250MB. I thought by the end of the day I was still at 100 and something MB left. I noticed last night it was around 48 or something. So far today it started at 244 but now its down to about 180. Good to know that its normal.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Under running services, and for an average phone, what should the available memory say (obviously different for each phone, but I just want to check now and then to see if mine's low or average etc).

I went to running services and at the bottom in a white bar it says:

avail: 178mb+97mb in 24 (what does in 24 mean?)
other: 57mb in 4 (what does 4 mean?)

what's the difference between avail and other? :)

Upvote 0
14dsc01354.jpg
dsc01355g.jpg

Here's the proof of the madness... I deleted several space hogging applications and it hasn't gone away. I have also power cycled and messed around with a few settings and the low storage warning will not go away. Anyone ever get this or can help let me know - WJD would appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Dark side, Wayne!

Lot's of posts about the invalid low space warnings, but I have not seen a solution other than a Hard Reset. Maybe someone will chime in with an easier (better) fix.

In the mean time, LOTS of dead end threads can be found via Google ;)

greattttt.... Wonder if we can see any similarity between what applications I have verse someone with the same problems.

Wonder what is causing this? This is really odd... anyone got google's number...?

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for the help...now my other question....

I downloaded Astro File Manager and when I opened it I can't find any of the folders I created (I created "ringtones", "caller IDs" etc), or any picture files from the camera pics I've taken. Where are these located?

When you first open ASTRO file managaer it opens the "/sd card". If you go one folder up it will take you to "/", here look for a folder named "emmc". This folder is your "on board memory" and you should find all the folders you created, and any files you stored on the on-board memory. This is true if in fact when you plugged your phone into your computer and set it to "disk drive", and then opened the appropriate drive (possibly G: or F:- keep in mind if you have an SD card you could have opened that drive and stored the files there).

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I am also having this problem... I'm not sure what I am supposed to do to fix this...

I have the following memory specs:

SD Card
Total space: 1.84GB
Available space: 1.63 GB

Internal Phone Memory
Total space: 6.60GB
Available space: 5.46GB

Phone Memory
Total space: 748MB
Available space: 663MB

It doesn't seem to me that I am low on space...

Upvote 0
I had this problem when I downloaded the swype .apk and tried to install it directly instead of using a file manager to do it the proper way.

Although the app said it installed, it never showed up. And ever after that I would get intermittent 'low on space' warnings. I think something about installing improperly corrupted the memory.

I master reset the phone, reinstalled everything (except swype), and problem went away.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I am getting same issue. I deleted my txt msgs first. That worked but as soon as I sent 1 msg it came back. I deleted all my POP3 trash and nothing happened.

I uninstalled handcent and quick settings which I just updated 2day and nothing. Id rather not do a factory reset.

Any help would b great.

Upvote 0
I have had it happen a few times and ended up deleting unused Apps. It worked but it's back again and is really annoying because it won't go away. I have:

1.70GB on SD Card
6.42GB Internal
356MB Phone Memory

This needs to get fixed because while it's annoying it also prevents me from downloading Apps even though there is plenty of space. My Incredible is starting to piss me off too. It's slow opening handcent and other non internet based apps and the scrolling in the menu is really laggy and skips sometimes. This is no where close to the phone I first purchased when it comes to the speed of opening apps and tools.

Upvote 0
This has been happening to me the last couple of days. I show plenty of space, and yet it keeps coming up low on space. Now it won't let me download ANY apps, and even says I don't have room to receive text messages. Yet, I show 6 GB of space left. What on earth is going on??

EDIT :: I did a factory reset and seems to have taken care of the issue. But then, it also took away everything, sooo... ;)

Upvote 0
This has been happening to me the last couple of days. I show plenty of space, and yet it keeps coming up low on space. Now it won't let me download ANY apps, and even says I don't have room to receive text messages. Yet, I show 6 GB of space left. What on earth is going on??

EDIT :: I did a factory reset and seems to have taken care of the issue. But then, it also took away everything, sooo... ;)

Yep, factory reset fixed me as well. Of course, this shouldn't happen in the first place. Hopefully, the factory reset clears the issue for good. If not VZW and HTC need to figure out what is going on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones