Support "Low on space" - please help

1. YankeeBelle

YankeeBelle Member

I just tried to download Yahoo Messenger and it wouldn't work because apparently I'm "low on space" - phone storage getting low. I've been reading the forums but sometimes ya'll get complex with explanations. Could someone explain to me what to do in simple terms? (not that I'm a simpleton) :)

Advertisement
  2. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Well-Known Member

You have too many apps in phone storage. Try moving the ones you can to the sd card. Go to menu-applications-manage apps. Click on an app and it will tell you if you can move it to the sd card. If you already have done this, try deleting text messages and emails. If you still get a low memory message the you will just have to delete some apps to make room for new ones.
  3. rwinvt

rwinvt Well-Known Member

Well, it's kind of difficult to give a simple answer without knowing what you know and what you don't know. :confused:

The simple answer is go to settings>applications>manage applications.
    If you know about moving apps to SD, select an app>select move to sd card.
    Some can't be moved, some shouldn't be. (like widgets, and Skype, for example))

If you don't know about all that :confused:, and you really want messenger now--then pick an app that you've downloaded from the market ( or Amazon) and uninstall it. You can always re-install it later after learning some of the complexities and freeing up the most possible space.

If you have money to spare, the simplest thing to do is wait a few weeks and buy the Motorola Triumph.:cool:
  4. YankeeBelle

YankeeBelle Member

Thank you!
  5. Spektrum

Spektrum Member

Thanks all for the question and answers. I had no Idea I needed to move apps to the SD manually.

Should I move all apps to the SD?

Anything else I should do to preserve the small internal memory?
  6. adam97202

adam97202 Well-Known Member

All the ones that you can, yes. Sadly, there are some that can't be moved -- including all the silly stuff like Twidroyd that was pre-loaded on your phone.
  7. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Get an app from the market called app2sd it will do everything for you just follow the directions it gives you. It's also a nice way to keep track of available memory on phone and card.
  8. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

That stuff doesn't take up any of the available user memory.
  9. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

I recommend Superbox, because it has both app2SD and a cache cleaner.

I'm always up against a space limit, so routinely use those two utilities and a third, Memory/CPU, which shows how much storage space I have left (and also lets me free working memory).

app2SD will show you a list of all the apps you can move to SD. Before I move anything to SD, I remove its cache and data, and force close it. Then I move to SD. I take those precautions so as not to leave any remnants in main storage--however, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether those precautions are needed.

Once you've used app2SD to move your apps, you don't really have to explicitly check it again, because whenever you install a new app, app2SD will notify you if the new app can be moved to SD.

Superbox's cache cleaner also lists all apps with cache. There's a "Clear all" button, or you can do that individually.

So routinely, I tap Cache and "Clear all", then check Memory/CPU. Sometimes there's a lag in it recognizing the new, lower size. I haven't discovered what exactly gets it to re-calculate, but after exiting Superbox and doing something, usually when I come back it has re-calculated your storage.

I've moved everything to SD except those that offer a widget I want to use. (I also keep the VOIP app sipdroid in main memory, but only because sipdroid's setup is so fragile, and I want it to be as fast as possible to avoid voice lag.)

Once you move an app to SD, you can't use the widget, even if you move the app back to main storage--you'll have to uninstall and re-install and leave it in main storage to get use of the widget again. Or rather, I *think* the above is true for all apps, but certainly it's true for many apps.
  10. syav

syav Well-Known Member

I recommend Superbox as suggested by jj2me. If u browse the Internet on your phone, the stock browser uses a lot cache and consumes phone memory quickly. I noticed some other browsers like Dolphin HD also uses a lot of phone memory even after you set 'cache to sdcard'.
  11. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

My number one favorite app on my phone is AppBrain. Not only does it let me manage and find apps, it also shows me which ones can be moved to SD.

I have 1Tap Cache Cleaner for clearing app cache.