'Low on space'Support

Last Updated:

1. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can't remove any more apps or messages what else could be filling this dam thing up? I am on 2.1 at the mo, O2 in the UK better hurry up with the 2.2!!!

Advertisement
  2. Adebisi

*I have done the internet cache also

3. starbase1

starbase1 Well-Known Member

I too would be interested in this.

I have about 26 Mb of free internal memory, and apparently I will need 25 for the Froyo update which has just become available! A bit too tight for comfort!

So are there any apps (or built in tools) to show what is using lots of the internal memory?

And related to that, can I persuade it to use the memory card for some stuff, and free up memory that way?

Thanks!
    Nick

4. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

I presume you've already gone into "Manage Applications" and sorted by size?

starbase1 likes this.
  5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

+1 for this.

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > wait for list to load > Menu > Sort by size

6. starbase1

starbase1 Well-Known Member

That's the thingy!

Thanks for that, hunted down the memory hogs instantly!
    Nick

7. Adebisi

I think I will do a full factory reset when the update comes out - does the factory reset delete everything?

8. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

yes I believe that it does. So recommend backing up your data before hand.

Adebisi likes this.
  9. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

It deletes apps and everything that isn't backed up on your SD card.

Check you have automatic backup activated: Menu > Settings > Privacy > Backup my data and settings > make sure it it checked.

This will backup your phone settings, bookmarks, messages, and pictures, sounds etc. to SD card.

Contacts will be deleted unless you have them saved as Google contacts - after the reset you sign into your Google mail account and contacts data is pulled down again from the web.

Apps will be deleted, but after my last reset the Market still showed the list of apps I had already downloaded and paid for, and it was a simple matter of connecting to wi-fi and downloading them again. Apps paid for already can be downloaded for free.

Your Homescreens will be reset, and you will need to set them up again. There maybe an app to save your custom 'Scenes' to SD, but I don't know.

Adebisi likes this.
  10. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

My phone keeps saying to me that I have 14MB of space left, which is extremely annoying, as I have not added anything since last week when I was supposedly on 21MB. I have changed NOTHING, cleared the cache in ALL apps and still 14MB. Any ideas what is going on?

11. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

Any help please? I am puzzled as to what is going on...

12. opplife

opplife Well-Known Member

I hear you man, im waiting for that official 2.2 from telus

13. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Just started playing with the Desire, seems I'm already at 60MB free and I only installed 3 things, LOL this concerns me and I already set cache/bookmarks to SDcard in Dolphin HD and such. Also where the hell can I find my downloaded attachments from emails, I don't think they were saved on the SDcard since quickoffice says no files found.

Edit- nevermind I installed File Manager and they show up.

14. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed on 2.1 was that the Contacts memory could often get messed up. It will also get especially large if you sync it to/from phone, facebook and google.

At one point my contacts size was reading 12.5mb and was synced to facebook. I backed up my phone contacts to a vcf file then wiped all the contacts memory and removed the facebook link. Then I started again using the vcf file. When I got back to where I was before i'd saved about 6mb.

My theory is that on 2.1 Android sometimes makes 'hidden' copies of contacts records and doesn't wipe them when you restores from vcf files etc.