1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

low space notification

1. a_m

a_m New Member

How my application can be notified when the file space is low? :confused: Please help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

To add on to this...I think the bigger issue is when the icon does show up now information has been provided to the user as to what to do/what it means/best way to clear it up.

From posts here I have learned:

- icon is measuring all memory on the device not just app memory
    - clearing your web cache can help (including all browsers you might use)
    - market app has a cache too that you can't clear, but rebooting the phone might help
    - email/sync seems to basically slow to a crawl/stop when the machine memory is full
    - garbage collection has been debated here with no authority on which is actually correct -
    -- either java auto deletes garbage for you
    -- memory management apps can help force delete garbage
    - best thing you can do is view your apps, sort by size and delete the largest unused apps
    - remember that most apps can be re-downloaded if needed, so if you don't use an app regularly then don't keep it in memory, just wasting space
  3. a_m

a_m New Member

Thank for the replies, probably the question misled you guys, please let me restatement.

I am trying to develop Android application here, my app need to be notified when the file system is on low space even the app is not running. So what's choice I can get? Android is new to me. :eek:
  4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

still confusing post ... : If you are trying to notify and app that is not running that is like talking to a rock !!

If you want to start an app when memory gets low ??? . then you need to write an app that calls the service status for Notifications... if the LowMemory status is set then your Monitor App can start your Other App ...
  5. a_m

a_m New Member

You can use PhoneStateListener to monitor the phone state, so I am thinking is there any API that can be used to monitor the file space. So when the space is low, the callback will be called.