LTE Performance on HTC RezoundGeneral

1. milan03

milan03 VIP Member VIP Member

I'm coming from HTC thunderbolt and since I'm in NYC, the speeds have been great, but the latency hasn't. Also since Verizon's LTE sector can in theory push 73.6mbps, getting 60ish mbps on Thunderbolt was insane. Well until I tried Rezound...
    Well, under the same conditions, same locations I'm seeing significantly improved throughput as well as latency. Latency improvement is I believe due to Dual-Core SoC, but HTC/Verizon have tweaked that same MDM9600 radio to perfection!

Ladies and gentleman, allow me to introduce first 70mbps speedtest results out of our beloved HTC Rezound! :D

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

Holy Moly. And I thought getting 9000-11000 kbps in congested NYC was really good.
  3. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

That's a lot of downloaded pron!!
  4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Wow I rarely see over 12mbs but have seen as high as 22 on the rezound and I think in the 40s on my tbolt the day of release when there was no LTE traffic

I do notice my speeds are slightly faster on my rezound ill have to do a side by side between the two
  5. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Well-Known Member

I am pretty surprised with the speeds I am getting. I ran one on my WiFi to check how fast my home internet (that I am paying $40 per month for) compared. Wow. It is really fast.

Attached Files:

6. milan03

Yup RF performance has been dramatically improved. Great phone!
  7. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

I notice that the Rezound seems to have a lag going to sites or content when in 4G mode, but no issue in 3g.

Could be a fluke though with the demo units.
  8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Were the demo units activated? When I went into Verizon's store none were activated and they were all on wifi.
  9. milan03

No similar issues on my device. The stock browser in general isn't that great, needs some optimization.
  10. rushmore

Nope, 4G.

Seems the reason the Rez apparently gets hotter than the Razr is the LTE. Rez seems to have better range than the Razr, but Razr runs "cooler" in 4G mode.

Confirmed with VZE local folks that have the Rezound as their employee rotation device. They report getting 4G in place where I only get 3G. Sticking with my guess that the 9600 in the Rez is running higher watts than the Razr and this is why it has better range and why seems to run hotter.

Both seems to run near same temp in 3G mode.
  11. milan03

MDM9600 is LTE Category 3 radio, Wrigley in RazR is only Cat 2. Also, MDM9600 has been in use for more than a year in various LTE devices, and the firmware and drivers are noticeably tweaked as I'm getting tremendous improvement over Thunderbolt.
  12. ChiTownJim

Today I ran about a dozen 4g speedtests with the thunderbolt and rezound said by side. The thunderbolt never scored higher then the rezound in fact never came within 2mbps down load or upload of the rezound.
    The Rezound was getting between 7-15mbps down and between 4-8mbps up. While the Thunderbolt got between 3-6mbps down and 2-5mbls up
  13. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

I noticed 4G at work dropping when I'd go to "normal" power mode. When I was in "performance" mode I still would drop 4G from time to time. I think my Thunderbolt would pick up 4G rather consistently at work (both phones without any case on them).
  14. milan03

That's very interesting. My 4G is rock solid.
  15. rushmore

The issue though may be the mW used for the Rez, since this could explain both the range and heat difference.

Testing with a bud though showed the Razr and Rez had about the same 4g range, so I am less sure now. More the reason to test the Rez more.

Fact is, people that own the device should have a lot better perspective. I have used the Rez for less than a full day and over half that time was demo units.

I was wrong to some extent on my perspective of the Razr (better device after using it five days), so probably same for Rezound.
  16. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

This is the 2nd time I'm going to have to backtrack on one of my posts. Yesterday it was real soggy outside and the air was cold and dense (which might explain my lackluster 4G connection). Today I didn't have any trouble with 4G (typical work day) but, to my surprise, I actually get 4G in the house now! Granted it's not the blazing 20+ Mbps that I get at work, but it's around 7 Mbps which beats the 2 Mbps I would get on 3G inside the house. YAY! 4G in the house! I don't think I ever got a 4G connection with my Thunderbolt in the house.
  17. naykam0810

naykam0810 Member

I switched yesterday from the Droid Bionic, and I can tell you that I have not dropped data so far on my Rezound. Which in he bionic was a common thing every single day, very annoying. I'm loving this phone so far.
  18. DroidAV8R

DroidAV8R Well-Known Member

My LTE connection has been rock solid, and transitions in and out of LTE as I move in and out of the coverage area have been seamless.

But, I can't get more than 2.5mbps when downloading, even though my upload speed is 15.5mbps. Anyone having a similar issue? I'm on my second Rezound, and the first one did the same thing, so I'm thinking it might be the LTE network in my area as opposed to the phone.

Any input would be much appreciated.
  19. LTE Fever

LTE Fever New Member

don't believe everything you read on the internet. THE Bionic and East are category 3 handsets as well, I have hit speeds well over 50 with the Razr and Bionic. My rezound has the horrible hotspot problem...
  20. ChiTownJim

The last couple days I've been seeing downloads of 35mbps to 47mbps . I downloaded a 400mb file yesterday in no time. Crazy fast compared to my thunderbolt