luvin my droid

Last Updated:

1. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I finally got my droid after switching from the eris, and all I can say is wow, this phone is so much better stock than my eris was rooted. I love how the screen is bigger, that I have an option for a keyboard if I want, it just feels so much snappier than the eris, web pages load faster,orientation doesn't take ten seconds to switch, and it is just better all around.

I hate the vzw rep who convinced me to go with the eris over the droid when I first jumped into android last year, if I would have known what I was missing out on I would have slappped her with that eris.lol

Just thought I would share how happy I am with a STOCK droid. Now as soon as I get my usb cable, here comes bb with kernals and wifi tethering. Awww the sweet life :)

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

My friends laughed at me when they made a solid argument for the Droid and I still got the Eris because I thought "a Mhz doesn't make a difference. We'll also get 2.1 soon and all will be good."

I got it from the VZW kiosk in our Student Center, actually, and every time I walk by I show the same rep my Droid and other Android phone just to let her know I fixed my mistake. She told me to go for the Droid too, but I thought the "slim design" was the shit.

Anyway, it's a great feeling leaving the POS behind. The Droid is a lot more fun.

3. darkside

Yes those damn looks can be decieving. Will definitely take functionality over looks any day from here on out. Keyboard also makes it way easier on my emulators. If I could get psx4droid figured out I would be happy, guess ill just have to do some more reading up on it.

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why not wait a few more weeks for the droid 2?

5. smacky

smacky Banned

Because a free Droid>>>>>>> a $199 Droid 2 with eFuse.

6. darkside

Exactly. Unlike many other users, price is definitely an issue with my phone decisions, after just having a baby I have tons of other things to spend two hundred bucks on. Free d1, $200 d2 (with no roms,or root yet) easy decision for me really. Plus I like to wait, I'm sure by the time my ne2 is up, there will be other phones that blow the x,inc,d2, etc. Out of the water. At least now I have a phone that I will enjoy until that time comes.

7. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

money wise yes, performance wise no...even with d1 overclocked. plus better keyboard. Don't me wrong, I love my droid, but d2 is better. you can still root with efuse for wifi tether.

8. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

"DROOOIIID!" Glad you're enjoying your Moto Droid! I bet you can't wait to root!:D

9. darkside

ya i'm stoked about rooting, but verizon sent me a wall charger that doesn't disconnect with a usb plug, so I have to wait for the right charger to get here so that way I can connect to my laptop and get my root experience going.

10. Ddifulio31

Ddifulio31 Active Member

I love my new droid as well. Came from the eris as well. Is rooting easy? And what r some of the benefits. I know this isn't the right place to ask but was just looking for quick answer.

11. darkside

from the reading i've done, rooting the droid is very simple (especially compared to the eris) to root. and there are tons of pros to rooting,
    getting updates such as froyo before they are officially released
    overclocking and underclocking
    permission to run root only apps
    loading custom roms, and themes

those are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

Ddifulio31 likes this.
  12. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I've had my Droid since launch day and still loving it!

13. darkside

so i was reading that the original droid and some of the other droids have different kind of keyboard keys. Is this true? Not sure where I read this.

14. darkside

So I just rooted (and then noticed the one touch root app 5 minutes later...Figures.lol) and flashed over BB0.4 with a 1.1ghz kernal, and I must say....WOW! Much better than stock. Kinda glad I was using stock for a while so that way I have something to compare to. Now i'm definitely LUVIN MY DROID!!! Finally got psx4droid working and have been addicted to Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Chross, and Parasite Eve. I don't think I could go to another phone now. I'm very satisfied with my Droid and pray that nothing happens to it.lol

15. Rollo_Tomasi

Rollo_Tomasi Active Member

New Moto Droid user here, came from the Eris also and totally love it!!! Much better signal strength, snappier applications, much cooler running & better call quality. The Eris is a fail device no matter how you look at it, I won't even look at an Incredible b/c I feel that HTC makes pretty inferior products than Moto and others...

Also can't wait for froyo too, wasn't getting that on the Eris!

16. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member

I will agree the Droid is a far superior phone in terms of performance, but man I sometimes miss the small form factor of the Eris, its brighter screen, and the aesthetically pleasing design.

Of course, those reasons werent enough for me to keep the Eris, hence my purchase of the Droid instead... =P

17. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

Dollar for Dollar .... the Droid is still the best phone out there !!! and as far as modding goes ... its unbeatable. I have had mine since November and its the best piece of electronic hardware I have ever owned. I just loaded up lithium and WOW !!! this thing runs smooth as silk :)

18. Thornfullessrose

Hmmm... Lotsa folks jumping from the htc eris to the moto droid! That's so cool!:cool: I love Android Forums because if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have never found that thread with the guy talking about how verizon offered him a different phone after he complained countless times. Would've never thought about bugging verizon till i got my way because I lost hope in them giving me a different device after they let me go through 13 BB Storms and 3 Erises.:(

19. Rollo_Tomasi

Rollo_Tomasi Active Member

Wow that's quite the track record, 16 phones and then a droid!

Back in the day when I had the xv6700 winmo failphone i had replaced 3 of them and was told when I brought the 3rd one in that I was eligible for the 3 phones in 3 months receive a free upgrade. I am pretty sure that all of us Eris owners who were dissatisfied with our hardware were beneficiaries of this policy, sometimes after more than 3 devices and in my case having to call, go into a store and call again before i got my free droid replacement.

Either way I am pretty excited to get to go home tonight and DL froyo and install it on my Droid!!!

20. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Wow, I remember that POS!!! It was great as a PDA at the time but HORRIBLE as a phone, it's primary function!!!!

Looks like many of us here have come from the Eris. I have to say that I love my Droid and the dev community that stands behind it.

21. darkside

+1, Love all the Roms and Devs who make this possible. Without them.....Well I don't even want to think about that.

22. Thornfullessrose

Yea but I was told they stopped that years ago many times by many reps. You get your cool reps and you get your strict ones.