4. Roxolid

Roxolid Well-Known Member

crap, save your money

5. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Yeah doesn't look that good.

6. koppit

koppit Well-Known Member

The screen on mine actually started peeling off day 1 - it's a plastic cover glued around the edges with two sided tape :(

7. roystonlodge

roystonlodge Member

I've had mine for about a week now. I got it off eBay for $105.57 (canadian), shipping from Hong Kong included.

PROS:

- The price, clearly.

- I REALLY like the size. It's big enough that I can do work on it without squinting, but it's small enough to fit in a interior suit pocket. That's very convenient. I think Apple should learn a lesson from this device where size is concerned.

- The proprietary port on the bottom is simply an iPod connection, so you can connect it directly to your computer if you have an iPod sync cable.

CONS:

- The AC adapter that came with it was incredibly cheap, and it burned out after less than a minute of use. I had to get a replacement from Radio Shack for about $30 (Canadian).

- The battery only lasts about 2 hours, if that.

- The accelerometer doesn't work on mine, so I have to click an icon to rotate the screen. I haven't found a way to set the default view to portrait, so I'm constantly having to switch from landscape.

- There is no access to the Android Market, so any apps I want have to be available online as apk files. There was an "App Store", but it was in Chinese. The best place to find apps is through BitTorrent (be honest and only use freeware!).

- The processor is quite underpowered. Apps run very slowly, and crash from time to time.

- I have yet to get video to play at all, let alone with decent framerates.

- It came with a Skype client installed, but the device is WiFi only and the Skype client requires phone network connectivity.

- No camera.

- No GPS.

- WiFi only.

- The buttons on the bottom sometimes don't work unless you press really hard. I will not be surprised if they stop working entirely.

BOTTOM LINE:

- This is clearly a 1.0 sort of product. Unless I can get my hands on a better model at a similar price, I will continue to use mine and put up with the inconvenient flaws. I removed the pre-installed ereader and replaced it with Aldiko, which works well. The browser, email, and IM client all work fine. I installed an SSH client and a VNC client to control my desktop PCs, and an SFTP client to access files on my network.

So it's not completely useless, but even at $105 (Canadian) I wouldn't really recommend it unless you have a very specific use for it.

I could see someone modding the thing to use as a controller for a home automation set up, or an internet-attached photoframe, or a model railroad controller, or something like that. I've seen videos on YouTube where guys have added a bigger battery, a couple of USB ports, and a webcam.

As a general-use device, however, I definitely get much more use out of my OLPC XO netbook running Debian than I will likely get from the m001.

8. veeshy

veeshy Active Member

Dont waste your time.... these are the early ones where the specs are awful

wait for the wiipad

9. jiohdi

jiohdi Member

I just received mine on 07.03.2010 and had much the same experience, however for $107 US, I had no high expectations... I got $7 back for the burnt out charger which lasted all of about 1 minute if that... I really dont know if there is anything inside it it feels so light.
    but I was able to get some new apps online at a freeware site, will check out bittorents.
    but it actually exceeded my expectations... I can get it to run down loaded mp4's with no real problems and it can run some online chinese cartoons, but youtube client fails.

10. jiohdi

jiohdi Member

found a 2 gig cache of android apps on rapidshare in 16 rar parts... in that was a youtube replacement that actually works, if you change to normal viewing quality in the menu.

most everything seems to work, only a few would not install.

11. icurafu

icurafu Well-Known Member

Please, nobody buy from the spammers page. There are other stores out there that are not spamming our threads and still providing good community support.

12. k101

k101 Member

hi any chance of pm'ing me a link to said rs file

thanks

13. rulisraul

rulisraul New Member

I bought this M001 Apad and today by mistake I restored it to default settings and when it turn back on only 3 apps where on main screen and cannot use it at all. Everytime I try to open an app or even to do anything the touch screen seems not to be working... please help me! any website to restore where it was? or perhaps caliber the touch screen? thanks

14. rulisraul

rulisraul New Member

I bought this M001 Apad and today by mistake I restored it to default settings and when it turn back on only 3 apps where on main screen and cannot use it at all. Everytime I try to open an app or even to do anything the touch screen seems not to be working... please help me! any website to restore where it was? or perhaps caliber the touch screen? thanks