• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] M7 no OS - HELP please

Recon11C

Jan 31, 2015
So,
I have an HTC ONE M7 S-on. There is no OS. However TWRP 2.6.0.1 is running. Everything has been wiped and I have no clue how to get an OS on this beast. I have tried messing with adb sideload but I can't get much going. I am not too familiar with the commands. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get it back to stock, but anything operable would be a dream come true.

Welcome to the forums!

This is going to sound harsh but it's not, it's the best help you can get to start -

Stop messing around with commands you don't understand.

We can very probably save your phone from the present state but not if you keep messing with it.

Don't panic. Stay cool.

In TWRP, can you get to the advanced menu and mount your phone so your pc can see the storage area when plugged in to your pc?

Upvote 0
And don't get discouraged if I have any false starts on my questions ok. :)

I've run so many versions of TWRP, and a while since 2.6, on HTCs that I'm bound to make minor, non-harmful, mistakes in my early questions.

Does your advanced menu have adb sideload instead of a mount to pc?

If so and that's what you've been trying, please copy / paste your sideload command(s) from your pc.

Please describe as much as what happened as you can.

Above all, don't panic. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, ADB Sideload is in the Advance menu. Mount is on the main menu.

I never got it to recognize the device. I cannot recall what I attempted to use (last week), but I'm certain that it did not affect the device.

Honestly I can't even find where I accessed ADB Sideload on my computer at the moment.

Upvote 0
Lmao! Listen up troop! :D

Nah just kidding, and thanks for your service.

OK, got it.

OTG USB requires an OTG USB cable and a device to mount, like a USB thumb drive or something like that.

Your phone storage is divided into partitions - the Unix equivalent of drives on a pc. You know how you can make a hard disk not just into C: but also add a D: E: etc etc if you want? OK partitions are like that, they just have names.

The mount command you see is to tell TWRP what parts to make available in general to other parts of itself and isn't like a USB thumb drive mount. So the defaults are fine there, usually.

An earlier version of TWRP, under the Advanced menu, did have a pc storage mount option. Worked great for me, sucked for others, so they went to the adb sideload.

(And I was afraid you were trying that from elsewhere, which you weren't, so good on you and bad on me lmao.)

So that's your background - next let's do an overview of how we're going to get you home again.

First - did you make a backup from TWRP before the trouble started - if so, you can just restore that and be OK.

If not, we need to get a rom image (in the form of a zip file) onto your internal storage and then just install it.

Getting it to internal storage is where the adb sideload comes in.

Get a rom, I like Viper so now you do too haha but seriously, it's over here -

http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m7/

Copy the zip file over to the same folder where adb is.

Slide the adb sideload bar (I may be on a different look and feel from your TWRP, anyway, turn it on).

Open a command window to where your adb is and say -

adb sideload name-of-viper-zip-file

If your adb driver is good to go on your pc, it'll transfer and start the install. Follow on-screen instructions as they appear.

Let me know what doesn't work when you try it, let me know if you need alternative instructions if you're not using Windows.

Hope this helps get you started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for appreciating, and it's my pleasure to serve.

Thank you for explaining things for me, big help.

I have not made a backup.

I am currently downloading the Viper Rom that I now like =o). It will take quite some time (6 or 7 hours) because I am deployed and the internet here is awful.

I have also located my ADB folder and will save the viper zip in that folder once complete downloading.

I do have a question about opening the command window to the adb location. I think that was why I couldn't get anything working in the first place, I'm a bit behind on my computer knowledge. Do I open the CMD and then type in the path to the folder? (I am using Windows)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Easy ways -

Open Windows Explorer, get to folder where adb is.

Shift+right click on the folder, choose to open command window. No files can be selected, just the folder.

Alternative -

Get command window. Enter cd and then a space. Drag folder from Windows Explorer and drop into command window. Hit return.

Boom, the easier way to get there without all the typing.

Then from there, do your adb command.

I'll keep checking here, I'll be around.

Upvote 0
Another potential issue...

When I slide the bar over to start ADB sideload on the phone, it gives me the following:
"Updating the partition details...
Starting ADB sideload feature..."

Granted I have not sent any data to the device, does it normally stop there. with a "thinking" bar?
As I recall, yes, that's normal.

It waits for the pc and begins its automation for the sideload install.

Upvote 0
C:\Windows\system32>C:\adb\adb sideload text.txt
loading: 'text.txt'
* cannot read 'text.txt' *

This is when I tried to sideload a text file, just to test how it works.
Yeah and thank goodness for that.

The sideload isn't a normal adb sideload.

Normal adb sideload just moves a file from pc to phone.

TWRP adb sideload needs a valid installation payload as found in the zip file. It's not only going to transfer it, it's going to go through some validation steps and try to immediately help to automatically install it. Much more than a copy.

The Viper zip isn't a dummy install payload like a lot of roms - when TWRP is done with the handoff, Viper launches it's own installation wizard on the phone. It's very cool, very comprehensive and my favorite, very easy. If in doubt, accept the defaults as you go along.

Upvote 0
Ok, this is where I am now. I tried it a couple times, and then switched to a USB 2.0 port:

C:\adb>adb sideload text.txt
loading: 'text.txt'
* cannot read 'text.txt' *

C:\adb>adb sideload ViperOne_7.0.2.zip
loading: 'ViperOne_7.0.2.zip'* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037
* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

loading: 'ViperOne_7.0.2.zip'

C:\adb>

Upvote 0
Almost a perfect certainty that you don't have the right drivers for adb to work with your pc. (Fastboot doesn't have the same strict driver requirements.)

What Windows do you have, 7 or 8, 32 or 64-bit?

Does it have HTC Sync installed? (Hopefully not a dumbass question, maybe you're using a post resource.)

Do you have a buddy with a Mac by any chance?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones