• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] M7 no OS - HELP please

I've tried to install the drivers while in TWRP and I got the following error:
"Device Driver Software was not successfully installed
Please consult with your device man...
MTP USB Device - Failed.."

at some point it said "Code 10 - could not start the device" or something along those lines
I don't know if I've ever tried to install with the device plugged in.

I know that's the Windows way but I've seen it fail before.

Anyway, also try the other drivers I linked.

Upvote 0
Yeah - there were two links, one was bogus. I HATE when they do that.

Here it is.

Go to start menu, right click Computer, Properties - go to device manager on left, plug in phone, look for phone under Other Devices. Right click, update driver software. Browse my computer. Point to folder that you extracted zip to.

Follow from there - pretty sure that's right.

Attachments

• HTC_drivers_Win7_x64.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
It gave me the same code 10 error. I'll try it again once I get off work in 8 hours. I feel a hundred times more confident that there is light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks for the help!
You bet!

Hopefully we'll get some more help from someone sharper with drivers for this.

I'll ask around.

Maybe those HTC drivers need to come off. Just not sure, at the moment.

Upvote 0
What are the chances that booting my computer from a flash drive with another OS would fix the driver issue?
100% if you go for a live boot of 32-bit Ubuntu.

adb and fastboot for Ubuntu are in the Mini-SDK download I gave earlier.

The rules of what to do will be the same, except in Ubuntu you would say -

sudo ./adb-linux sideload Viper-whatever.zip

Again, you must have your command window open where adb is, and the Viper zip has to be there as well.

Upvote 0
After reading through everything I can't see anything I can add to Earlymon's advice. The only possibilities I see are:

-Drivers did not install properly (or parts of old driver did not uninstall correctly)
-Problems with the cable
-USB driver issue on your machine. Are there any other PC's you can try this on that don't have the drivers installed already so you can start clean?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Here is a method for re-installing HTC Sync after a failed install. Please follow these directions step by step to insure the process works correctly.

Install HTC Sync, but when it pops-up and says the HTC Driver Installer failed, do not press OK or Cancel, but instead use Windows Explorer to search your User directory (usually under \Users\<yourname>) for "HTC". It should find a file called HTCDriverInstaller.exe. Copy this file to a new directory, then cancel out of the HTC Sync install.

Now run HTCDriverInstaller.exe. It will fail as well but, again, do not press OK or Cancel yet. Use Windows Explorer to search your User directory again for "HTC", and this time you should find a file called HTCDriver.msi. Copy this file to a new directory, then cancel out of the HTCDriverInstaller install. You may also delete the HTCDriverInstaller.exe file at this point.

Now run HTCDriver.msi, and it should successfully install the drivers. Save this file in case you need it again in the future.

Restart the HTC Sync install, and it should see the drivers are already installed and so proceed directly to install the HTC Sync software.

Upvote 0
Gentlemen, I appreciate all this knowledge.

I did swap out my USB cable because I realized that the first one wouldn't even connect my Samsung. The one I was using for most of the trials and errors above is a good cable.

For the HTC sync suggestion, is that for a failed HTC sync installation, or a failed driver installation? The HTC sync installed fine, it was just the drivers that weren't cooperating.

Upvote 0
Ok, well I couldn't get the HTC sync method to work correctly, so I am running Ubuntu from a flash drive. I cannot get anything working correctly though.

I can't install adb or fastboot, the error is : "an error occurred while loading the archive"

"Android phone" is showing up, but nothing happens when I click on it on the sidebar.

Upvote 0
OK.

You've downloaded the sdk-tools.zip file using Firefox I take it. If you double-click the zip the contents should be where you can get to them like this -

Control alt t (opens a command window)

In that do -

cd Downloads/sdk-tools

If you get any errors, stop, tell me what happened.

Otherwise -

Your phone plugged in, go to adb sideload in TWRP, and in the command window -

sudo ./adb-linux devices

You'll see a listing for your phone.

If not, stop, telling me what you get.

If you do see your phone listed, you can drag the Viper zip to the sdk-tools folder and do -

sudo ./adb-linux sideload Viper-whatever.zip

Upvote 0
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/sdk-tools$ ls -lFa
total 1355036
drwxrwxr-x 2 ubuntu ubuntu 280 Feb 1 16:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 ubuntu ubuntu 60 Feb 1 16:38 ../
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1009664 Nov 11 15:50 adb.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1318951 Oct 16 12:33 adb-linux
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1324340 Nov 11 15:50 adb-mac
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 96256 Nov 11 15:50 AdbWinApi.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 60928 Nov 11 15:50 AdbWinUsbApi.dll
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 196608 Nov 11 15:50 fastboot.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 215626 Oct 16 12:33 fastboot-linux
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 213404 Nov 11 15:50 fastboot-mac
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 28160 Aug 26 2011 md5sums.exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1414 May 18 2014 sdk.sh
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 83 Nov 11 15:59 Version.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1383066386 Feb 1 01:39 ViperOne_7.0.2.zip
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/sdk-tools$

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones