M8: HTC Stock Browser gone?General

Last Updated:

1. HenryKrinkle

HenryKrinkle Well-Known Member

I purchased the M8 yesterday and have noticed that HTC seems to have dropped their stock browser in favor of Chrome. I actually preferred the stock browser on the HTC one (2013) and am surprised that they removed it. Anyone else notice this?

Advertisement
  2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Well-Known Member

Yup, though not until you pointed it out. I only use Chrome, so I am actually glad it's gone.
  3. Slickyy

Slickyy Well-Known Member

I don't think that was HTC. I've never used a phone stock with 4.4.2 have the regular internet browser.
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah it was gone on the G2 also. The push is toward Chrome it seems.
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO SERIAL AGNOANDROIDIST Guide

Still got the stock browser on my T-MOBILE G2 w/KIT KAT, so, perhaps it's a carrier option?
    iowabowtech likes this.
  6. iowabowtech

Hmm, must be then. I ended up flashing the stock browser and now that you mention it, that was pulled from a different variant iirc.
  7. KOLIO

Gotta make room for all of those wonderful apps that are exclusive to VZW.... :D
  8. iowabowtech

My counterargument to that is...that there is no counterargument. :D
  9. KOLIO

All the U. S. carriers are guilty as charged. ;)
    Honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal anymore. Most of those "Premium Apps" can be disabled, leaving plenty of storage for hundreds of other apps & their corresponding data.
    A couple years ago, definitely a different story. My 1st ANDROID, a HUAWEI ASCEND on CRICKET, comes to mind.......
  10. iowabowtech

Yeah same here...Droid Incredible anyone? And they had a limitation on the sizing of the /data/data partition so that too many apps & data would result in major performance issues.

Good point about the addition of disabling. Almost forgot about that. I've always been rooted so sudo rm /system/app/suckonthatverizon in the old days, TiBu for some time now. :D
  11. iowabowtech

Sorry about the sidebar there OP. :)

I'm not sure if you're in the market for 3rd party browsers but another staffer turned me on to Boat Browser and I even ended up ditching my sideloaded stock browser after coming to prefer it over all others. May be worth a look?
    KOLIO likes this.
  12. KOLIO

Here's another thread on the subject that you may wanna follow,from our neighbors @XDA-DEVELOPERS:

stock browser?? - xda-developers
    HenryKrinkle and iowabowtech like this.
  13. simonsimons34

simonsimons34 Rom & Kernel Developer Guide

Mine has the stock browser...
    KOLIO likes this.
  14. KOLIO

15. simonsimons34

Yes. It's called internet.

Attached Files:

KOLIO likes this.
  16. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Yup stock browser here too, on Sprint.
    KOLIO likes this.
  17. DEng66

DEng66 Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like it's just a Verizon thing. Verizon M8 is alos missing the Power Saver options. Not just the Extreme Power Saver settings, but the regular one too. Sometimes I think Verizon does this just because they can because I can't think of any business advantage to eliminating a browser. For what it's worth, the Verizon version also doesn't have the "powered by Android" message on the boot screen....at least mine doesn't!
    iowabowtech and KOLIO like this.
  18. KOLIO

^^^^
    This & this: http://androidforums.com/6499702-post7.html ;)

Seriously,the HTC browser (at least on the M7) was,IMHO,just as much a beneficial feature as some of the more highly regarded ones (BOOMSOUND/Build Quality).
    GOOGLE would be wise to emulate.
    Perhaps HTC could put their browser in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE.If for no other reason,it'd be a nice way of giving VZW the one-finger salute. :D
    For that matter,I'd love to see it in the GOOGLE Play Store & put it on all of my devices,even if that meant paying for it on non-HTC devices.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  19. simonsimons34

In my research chrome uses more data... So if you think about that you see Verizon's intentions
  20. xPhantom

xPhantom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad the Sprint version keeps the HTC browser. That is honestly my favorite browser of all the ones I've tried. The quick controls are so great!
    PyroSporker likes this.
  21. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 On Probation

So true, the Sprint version does have it. I haven't even touched the power saver mode. I told my buddies with the S4 that they need to just hold this phone in their hand.
  22. parkert

parkert Member

But chrome is better isn't it :)
  23. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

I noticed on Friday, while reading an extra long online article that is offered in a weekly installment, that HTC's stock browser is missing 'Reading Mode'. They must have dropped it in the latest Sense builds.

Since I have unlimited Sprint data and since I don't find myself reading long articles too often, I haven't exactly noticed the subtraction of the feature, however I am a little bummed that the opportunity to utilize the option has been removed.

(Reading mode displayed webpages as simple black and white text with all backgrounds, page styles, and formatting removed)
    KOLIO likes this.