• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

M9 presale announced by HTC

nate.kelmes

Mar 31, 2010
Cleveland OH
So is anyone going to buy the phone directly from HTC unlocked as opposed to one of the big four?

I had figured I would just get it from Verizon either with my upgrade or go edge. While I'm not a fan of a carrier neutered phone or bloatware (who isn't) it's sort of accepted as "the way things are" these days.

Are there any major benefits on getting an unlocked phone vs through a carrier aside from what I stated above? Does this matter as much now as it has in the past?

Thanks for your insights.

http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-hits-available-online-1201-am-edt-friday-stores-april-10

So is anyone going to buy the phone directly from HTC unlocked as opposed to one of the big four?

I had figured I would just get it from Verizon either with my upgrade or go edge. While I'm not a fan of a carrier neutered phone or bloatware (who isn't) it's sort of accepted as "the way things are" these days.

Are there any major benefits on getting an unlocked phone vs through a carrier aside from what I stated above? Does this matter as much now as it has in the past?

Thanks for your insights.

http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-hits-available-online-1201-am-edt-friday-stores-april-10

As you're on VZW, an unlocked phone probably isn't the best choice for their network.

1) Possible/probable compatibility issues.

2) From what I gather, if the IMEI/serial number isn't in their system, it's not readily available for activation.

As for myself, I'm on T-Mobile & I'll probably find myself on HTC's website later this evening, w/a finger on the mouse button.

I'm actually more interested in the M9+,but,I'm doubtful it'll be available stateside.
Unless LG makes an announcement in the next week or so, decent chance I'll get this, the M9,or,another phone I just recently started eyeing:ASUS ZenFone2.
I already liked the M8,so,an extra gig of RAM & bigger battery are enough for me to give serious consideration for the M9.

Upvote 0
OK,I'm on HTC's site,seriously considering buying the phone.
Just for the heck of it,I asked a rep if the unlocked version has WI-FI Calling enabled.(Rep said yes,BTW).
Anyone hear anything about this,or,is it more likely a feature to be enabled later on?......
Any input would be appreciated.

THX! :)

Upvote 0
I just pre ordered a while ago from Sprint one for me and one for my husband. Him gunmetal Grey me the Silver/Gold but in the name it says Gunmetal than silver/gold but my email from Sprint says it's on back order or not in the warehouse yet. My M8 has wifi calling Kolio. I hope I get the phone next week. The Sprint warehouse is where I live.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I just pre ordered a while ago from Sprint one for me and one for my husband.My M8 has wifi calling Kolio. I hope I get the phone next week. The Sprint warehouse is where I live.

The only ones available for me ATM are the Developer & Unlocked editions. Perhaps the T-Mobile version will become available @HTC simultaneously w/T-Mo's pre-orders later this morning.

Either way, it gives me a few hours to sleep on it,before T-Mobile gets rolling.
Came real close to ordering the Developer Edition, but, I used a bit of better judgement, for once. Wanna make sure it has all the T-Mobile bands before diving in. Ditto w/the Unlocked variant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
I just pre ordered a while ago from Sprint one for me and one for my husband. Him gunmetal Grey me the Silver/Gold but in the name it says Gunmetal than silver/gold but my email from Sprint says it's on back order or not in the warehouse yet. My M8 has wifi calling Kolio. I hope I get the phone next week. The Sprint warehouse is where I live.

BTW:
Congratulations on getting the M9! ☺

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Went to go look at the site to get the full scope on lte/hspa bands for the sim free and developer editions and the site only seems to display what I believe is the international versions.

• 2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
  • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS:
  • 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
  • 4G LTE:
  • FDD: Bands 1,3,5,7,8,20,28
  • TDD: Bands 38, 40, 41
None of those LTE bands are common US bands :/

Reactions: EarlyMon and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Went to go look at the site to get the full scope on lte/hspa bands for the sim free and developer editions and the site only seems to display what I believe is the international versions.

• 2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
  • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS:
  • 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
  • 4G LTE:
  • FDD: Bands 1,3,5,7,8,20,28
  • TDD: Bands 38, 40, 41
None of those LTE bands are common US bands :/

Saw this on XDA

Originally Posted by Sturos
https://twitter.com/HTCUSA/status/581592786958434306

For those who can't go to twitter:

The HTC One M9 - Developer and Unlocked utilizes LTE bands:
700/850/AWS/1800/1900/2300/2600
B12/B17/B29/B13/B5/B4/B3/B2/B30/B7

I ordered the Developer Edition Gunmetal @ 8AM and got a sorry your phone is on backorder Email at 9:50AM
I'm hoping it was just an automated response because they didn't ship on Friday

Upvote 0
I had a feeling that it would cover all that we would like, It is interesting to see what looks like Verizon and Sprint bands on the unlocked and dev versions. I wonder if these devices will be whitelisted on those carriers due to the CDMA nature. Any word about the HSPA bands, specifically the AWS/Band 4 HSPA band being supported for T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Just came across this from Droid-Life, pretty handy reference and will answer the confusion on who may need what in the US -

us-wireless-bands.png

Reactions: SolApathy and KOLIO
Upvote 0
This is all I have found relating to T-Mobile band support- http://www.tmonews.com/2015/03/htc-one-m9-to-support-band-12-and-band-2-lte/

Just came across this from Droid-Life, pretty handy reference and will answer the confusion on who may need what in the US -

us-wireless-bands.png

Some more band confirmation/info today,quoted by ASK DES from T-Mobile:

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/03/conf...-does-include-lte-band-2-and-band-12-support/

FollowDes‏@askdes
PSA: #HTCOneM9
Web listing incorrect - should read:
GSM - 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS - B1/B2/B4/B5
LTE - B2/B4/B12/B17 with CA + B3/B7 roaming

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Now that we have two reliable sources stating the sites band listing (for the US) is in error,I'm more compelled to buy off-contract & get the Developers Edition. :)

Called the local BestBuy & supposedly,they have working demos of the HTC M9/Samsung S6 & S6E.
May hafta stop by & look-see @ all three ,try to sate this new-phone urge for a few days & then make a "Sensible" :rolleyes: decision on whether to pull the trigger on the M9 or,hold out hope for a M9+/E9+.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm curious how many people like me and my husband and you are going from the M8 to the M9. I know people are saying not much difference but I see Octocore Processor an extra gig of ram better battery and we will see how this 20MP truns out to be and the 5 Ultra on the front I am hoping does better selfies. Also sense 7 and the themes and a couple other things we are excited about. Oh their is this new home widget where you can have your home screen on work or home or play something like that. The old EVO's used to have a setting to change your screen like that. I will get my phone on Monday I can't wait. But no Dot View cases are out yet. :-(. I ordered my husband an Otterbox Defender today from their website 2 day free shipping. They say he'll have around Wed or Thurs.

I already liked the M8,so,an extra gig of RAM & bigger battery are enough for me to give serious consideration for the M9.

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyMon and KOLIO
Upvote 0
ALRIGHTEY: Straight from the source,HTC USA,as clear as can be:

KOLIO,
HTC USA replied to your Tweet!

JHu6Km3c-QQ4C8TDd3tsla8MxCNZ5Kec9GU2upw5pjMSRBFj8Zw8NXVjd4h5NxfkC1M7MmiciLaxGQTRnym0mG-gO3nVD_n5EFs5aH9NYc5gwkWeIl_AuAKIo7ps8gUWc7tnT5cbQl83hWz22AJRz1pFwuNgF_rTUdUmThKwU1Swq_gV=s0-d-e1-ft

Trevic@trevb87
Follow

@HTCUSA do the developer edition and the unlocked edition have the same LTE bands(same bands found on the att version)? website is unclear - Mar 27

AnJDZAJI8HHkIrjg6Od_yHBXpQEQM6-8_hvnQT6H3_PvyN-bnPwYD_0GxWxPBukxSks_qgvJWzM1q1gHdHN_XFUnecQ=s0-d-e1-ft
More Tweets
KOLIO@JGKOLIO

@HTCUSA @trevb87

So,are you saying this will work on AT&T & T-MOBILE 4G LTE Networks?
The (US) site lists 1,3,5,7,8,20,28,38,40,41 - Mar 28

HTC USA@HTCUSA

@JGKOLIO Yes, both AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE networks are supported.

09:32 PM - 28 Mar 15

Upvote 0
Saw this on XDA
I ordered the Developer Edition Gunmetal @ 8AM and got a sorry your phone is on backorder Email at 9:50AM
I'm hoping it was just an automated response because they didn't ship on Friday

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably/hopefully just a robo-mail error.
I've received two e-mails from HTC:

1ST was an "Order Submitted" email,received immediately upon placement of the order.
2ND was an "Order Confirmation" e-mail,with a link to look up your order:

http://store.us.htc.com/store/htcus/help

EDIT:
Spoke too soon,just got the same "Backorder" e-mail as you.:(
Hope to hear from 'em soon,for my sake & theirs,as I'm quite fickle about these things......:p:D

Upvote 0
It's backordered because I bought all of them and am now reselling them on ebay for a paltry $1,098.97 +tax +$199.97 shipping

:p:eek::p:eek::p:eek::p:eek::p

Suprisingly,I'm not as upset by this news as much as I thought I would.
Prolly 'cause I'm used to T-Mobile taking pre-orders w/promised delivery dates,only to be a week-ten days later,after paying for overnight/next-day shipping.

I'll give 'em a business day or two to ship/ETA before I throw a rod......;)

Upvote 0
Looks like you can't even order the Gold on Gold Sim Free version at this time, which is what my GF wants. So I guess I'm waiting for that to become available :(

Odd choice of words (Not Available),as they have that color option shown,vs the Developer Edition,which only has the Gunmetal & Silver options.
Then again,the Gunmetal Developer Edition is Back-Ordered,even though you have the option to Buy Now! o_O :wtfdroid:

Upvote 0
Odd choice of words (Not Available),as they have that color option shown,vs the Developer Edition,which only has the Gunmetal & Silver options.
Then again,the Gunmetal Developer Edition is Back-Ordered,even though you have the option to Buy Now! o_O :wtfdroid:
Exactly. I wouldn't hear the end of if if I buy the Gold on Silver dev version for myself and flaunt it in front of her while she waits for the Gold on Gold version to become available. Plus I guess I'd only have to pay for shipping once if I buy them together, so there is that.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones