• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MAC addy and Manufacturer name change!

andruoid

Android Expert
Jan 10, 2011
BC, Canada
This is really odd, I recent updated to JB 4.1.2 for my S2X. I run a program called Fing that does a site survey of whatever wifi network you are connected to. It keeps detailed logs of previous devices that have connected as well. So, my S2X use to show the Murata Manufacturing as the hardware vendor and its associated MAC addy. Now it is showing the hardware vendor as Camille Bauer and has a different MAC addy. This can't not happen as the MAC is burned into the hardware, sure, you can spoof a MAC but this is different. I'm going to do a full reset later tomorrow, maybe a downgrade as well to see if the original MAC info reappears.

Reactions: dustwun77
I have this problem as well, my wife and I share the same MAC Address on our phones. Samsung has acknowledged that my wife and I share the same MAC address. I am certain that we aren't the only ones that share that MAC Address (hence the reason we can't connect to hotspots) and Samsung admits this is a serious issue, but they won't do anything about it because the phones were purchased in 2011. At least we know that is the problem and it is not something that Shaw has any control over.
There are workarounds, but I really don't want to spend any more time working it out (4 hours with Samsung TS is enough to make me want to throw the phone and myself off the ferry). The easiest workaround is to use my laptop with Wifi hotspots.

If you are using a Samsung Galaxy S2 T989D and can't connect to public wifi like ShawOpen, check your MAC Address (In wifi/advanced). If it comes up as a generic-looking MAC address (mine starts out 00:12:34 etc), you probably got the same manufacturers run as my wife and I. I did the search of that address and also came up with Camille Bauer as the vendor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones