Mac user needs help rooting

Last Updated:

1. droid51378

droid51378 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am following the XDA dev forums instructions, but when I get to step 2 ... I am lost lol.

Here it is:
    Now, for rooting.

First, go to Settings > Applications>Development, and make sure USB Debugging is checked on your phone.

1. Download Asroot2 (http://zenthought.org/tmp/asroot2) and move it to your SDK/tools directory

2. Navigate to your SDK/tools folder (cd ~/Documents/Android/SDK/tools for me)(~ replaces /User/%Username% if you didn't know)

3. Then type:

./adb push asroot2 /data/local/
    ./adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
    ./adb shell
    /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

And you should get:
    $ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

[+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout

Opening: /proc/857/fd/3

SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.

4. Then type:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/bin
    cat sh > su
    chmod 4775 su

At this point you should have root access.

I do not understand where I am supposed to type in the info. I have never done this before, but would like to.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

I do not know mac well, but in windows we have a command prompt we can get to by clicking on start > Run > typing in CMD and hitting enter

It takes us to a black box that looks similar to the linux shell except its windows shell. Then they instruct you to navigate inside the shell to the SDK folder and execute those commands..

Does Mac have anything like that ?

3. thorasaurus

thorasaurus Member

Instead of CMD, on a mac you use Terminal (it's an app that comes with OS x). The tutorial is saying that you need to direct terminal to the area where you stored the Android SDK file you downloaded. In the case of the OP, cd~ /Documents/Android/SDK/tools means that he put the Android SDK in his Documents folder in a folder called "Android".

You use cd~ /blahblah/blah blah blah/tools as a command.

Just replace the blahs with the names of the folders in the hierarchy to get to the Android SDK folder.

I hope that made some sense. It's late for me.